Centaur/Pembroke rudder

Peter.stephenson
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Centaur/Pembroke rudder

Post by Peter.stephenson » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:24 am

Greetings all!
New boy here. I bought a Pembroke a couple of years ago in Orkney and have been getting to know her and how to sail in these rugged conditions we have here. As I'm sure you know the Pembroke is the same as the Centaur but with a fin keel. The boat is now sitting in my garden on a large cradle and there's a list as long as my arm of things to do! The rudder is REALLY stiff but functional, just. I'm trying to take it off and check / lubricate it but access is impossible with the fuel tank in place. OK, so take out the tank I hear you say. Well, the tap doesn't work and the 2 screws I can see appear to be rusted beyond use. I'm sure I'll be able to get round those problems and drain it, but I was wondering if anyone knows if removing the 2 screws only is enough? If not I may then need to cut it out. All just to get at the rudder! I cannot find any other way to access it! Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Peter

Jelliebabies99

Re: Centaur/Pembroke rudder

Post by Jelliebabies99 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi Peter,

Not sure if this will help but I had an issue with my Centaur rudder last month. The securing bolt below the tiller had sheared off! Eventually worked out a way to get the rudder lowered (digging a deep hole in the sand). Remove tiller, tiller stock. By rotating the rudder from side to side I was able to slacken off the stainless steel collar. This allowed me to remove the damaged bolt. It also allowed the rudder to drop. Though not removing completely, which I believe you want to do, this is the basics of how I slackened the rudder stock. I did lubricate the stock and fitted a new securing bolt.

Hope this helps if applicable.

Kind regards

Mark

Hillary

Post by Hillary » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:54 pm

Hi The Westerly Shop - lower Quay Fareham Hants can supply Rudder bushes. Dave Hardy and His Wife are ex Westerly Employees. They are a mine of information http://www.westerly-yachts.co.uk Give David Hardy a ring.

If the Pembroke is wheel steering then you may have to remove the tank to get full access but if its tiller steering like most Centaurs then you do not need to remove the tank. Just remove the tiller and undo the retaining bolts and Cotter pins and assuming you have enough room underneath ( you might have to dig a pit under the rudder) but the rudder will come out by pulling it down. Then you can replace the rudder bushes and put it back together.

If you do need to remove the tank but the tap is stuck. Fill a plastic hose with diesel and siphon it out. On my centaur there are two screws at the front of the tank and two screws at the back. Try soaking the screws in penetrating oil and leaving a day or so and soaking again. Or you could drill them out. I think they go into glassed in wooden blocks so it should be possible to remove them.

Good luck Hillary
Moonshine, Centaur CR1149

UserError
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by UserError » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:08 am

Re stiff rudder, ours is similarly very stiff but functional. Not bent as stiffness is equal.
Mark mentioned lubrication - what was needed to free it off.
Thanks
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton

Peter.stephenson

Post by Peter.stephenson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:48 pm

Hi!
Sorry to take so long to get back. These look like very useful things to try. I've been sorting the engine out for the last couple of months, but I'll hopefully manage to get time to start on this. I'll let you know if it works. Or even if it doesn't. Let's be realistic about this; ESPECIALLY if it doesn't! Thanks for taking the time to reply; it is much appreciated!

Peter.stephenson

Post by Peter.stephenson » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:27 pm

Hi again,

I'm trying hard to get this rudder off! Also I want to get the propellor and anode off (the anode bolt sheared off so I'll need to sort that out...)

There is no possible access to the rear bolts of the fuel tank, let alone the bolts holding the rudder on and I think I may see why. Here is the size of the access hatch in the floor of the cockpit. It looks beautifully made but when you look at the floor from the underside you can see that someone has made this hatch smaller at some point. I cannot imagine why! There is a much bigger hole cut out that has been fibreglassed over to make the present set-up! I could cut a small hatch out of the locker at the back of the cockpit, but that of course means possible ingress of water as that locker is frequently wet... Anyone any ideas???
Ptolemy cockpit.JPG
Ptolemy cockpit.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 887 times

UserError

Post by UserError » Sun May 27, 2018 6:27 pm

Our engine access is like this - I assume it's normal. (It's grubby as there had been so much guano - 2 years' worth- there was a plant growing!)
IMG_20180313_122519577.jpg
IMG_20180313_122519577.jpg (244.55 KiB) Viewed 801 times
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Wed May 30, 2018 12:08 pm

That is indeed the normal arrangement - or at least it's like that on mine and the other Centaurs I've seen. No idea why anyone would want to make the hatch smaller :shock:
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

UserError

Post by UserError » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:46 am

Re fuel tank. A long time centaur owner at the club replaced his tank recently. He said there were two fastenings at the front and two locating lugs at the back (no screws). So the rear of the tank slides in and is held by the lugs. And the short fuel filler hose.
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton