Centaur Fuel Tank

Uncle Albert
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Centaur Fuel Tank

Post by Uncle Albert » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:31 pm

Does anyone have info as to how the fuel tank is secured. I see two bolts/screws at the foreward end of the tank but how is the back part retained (if at all). Why do I ask? Well I have to admit to stupidly having loosened a nut and bolt on the bottom plate of the rudder tube and the nut inside is clearly not captive so I need to get to it to tighten. So far the only way I can see is by removing the fuel tank (which I just filled to reduce condensation). The other alternative is to find a 5 year old with a torch small enough to fit down one side of the tank. I think the NSPCC will be after me now. HELP!! :(
Uncle Albert
CR1702

VicS

Re: Centaur Fuel Tank

Post by VicS » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:26 pm

I guess it's the same as the tank in the Berwick, just secured by those two feet at the front.

To get the tank out of the Berwick we had to pull it forward, rotate it though 90°, turn it onto its back then lift it one end uppermost through the hatch (We had the replacement made just a touch smaller!)

Keep your fingers crossed that pulling it forward and rotating it through 90° will give you the space to reach. (It is not very deep from back to front) Otherwise you'll have to empty it again and that is a pain. Probably worth getting a electric pump or one of those vacuum oil changer things if you have to. We found the exhaust hose was in the way a bit but we did manage without removing it

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:25 pm

Many thanks doesn't sound too daunting. Must say the tank looks a lot bigger then the hole it needs to come out of.

I have one other cunning plan if it works tomorrow then I'll inform the world.
Uncle Albert
CR1702

VicS

Post by VicS » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:10 am

Must say the tank looks a lot bigger then the hole it needs to come out of
That's why we rotated it and tipped it on its back. That way it came out but only just! IIRC we had the new tank made just 1cm smaller in each dimension. That went in easily.

Draining the tank was a pain, and it was only about half full, I suppose on dry land we could have got a long hose and syphoned it but that was not really an option while afloat. We just had to drain a bit at a time into something small enough to go under the outlet tap. That's why I suggested a pump or a vacuum oil changer.

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:47 pm

I am presently ashore so one of those syphon pumps should do the trick. Planned on implimenting my cunning plan today but it was too cold to get out there. But tomorrow......
Uncle Albert
CR1702

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:33 pm

Well the cunning plan failed so I cut a hole in the floor of the Lazarette and installed an inspection hatch. Acheived the objective of retightening the four bolts which are at the base of the rudder tube. Tank stays where it is for now.
Uncle Albert
CR1702

VicS

Post by VicS » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:31 pm

Sounds like you did the sensible thing. Would not be so sensible in a Berwick because the bottom of the lazarette is the hull! Could with a Berwick fit a hatch in the bulkhead between the lazarette and the space behind the tank though.

I suppose you are not going to tell us what the failed "cunning plan" was.

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:24 pm

Well you have weadled it out of me. Two lengths of stiff cable taped together at one end and the appropriate spanner taped to that in the correct orientation. Now it acts like a bowden cable (or one of those 1970's car theft tools for accessing the door lock post inside the car via the weather strip, yep done that also) and it place the spanner around corners if you pull on of the cables. This to be operated down one side of the tank. Down the other side a mirror and a lamp on a suitable stick. Judicious waggling of the stick gets the light and visibility right and movement of the cable manoeuvres the spanner onto the nuts.

Sounds fine dunnit.

However with head into engine bay, upside down and legs in teh air, with serious blood rushing to head and the mirror showing that the electric bilge pump outlet pipe was right across the intended working area and preventing ability of spanner to access two of the nuts, I felt rather queasy and gave up after about 45 minutes.

See told you it was cunning!!!
It or something similar must have some other applications. Answers on a postcard please!!
Uncle Albert
CR1702