RM 69 Heads!

Hardover
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:westerly
RM 69 Heads!

Post by Hardover » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:56 am

Having a bit of a tussle with this thing. Have scoured the web and cant even find the most basic operating instructions. At the moment it wet flushes only intermittently and not very convincingly. It was installed new about 14 months ago but sat untouched since. Could the seals have gone? Anyway, have ordered a service kit for it and will have a play around.
Could be I'm operating it incorrectly of course. After use I switch the lever to "wet flush", pump the handle until knackered then usually go and get a bucket of sea water.
We would prefer to keep the heads rather than go back to a bucket!

Hardover

Re: RM 69 Heads!

Post by Hardover » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:31 pm

well, after wasting hours of my life trawling through hundreds of forum posts and umpteen articles on the vagaries of marine heads, the old bucket and chuck it method is becoming more and more appealing. I've dismantled the pump twice now. Cleaned every mating surface, lubricated it all with synthetic teflon grease, renewed all gaskets, o rings and ridiculously expensive bits of rubber, cleared the pipe work with an inflatable dinghy pump and repeatedly opened and closed the sea cocks..........and still NOTHING!
It has to be a faulty sea cock - there's nothing else it can be? Looks like I'm going to have to wait until haul out at the end of the season. It will flush with half a bucket of sea water so I guess I'll just have to live with that. At least I've cured an annoying leak from the base of the pump. Now onto more pressing tasks..........

JayT
Site Admin
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:Opposite Easterly

Post by JayT » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:30 pm

Member P3693 Martin Paterson is a big fan of these devices. He lives in Netherlands; you'll find his email address in the Yearbook.
Regards
Tim
Webmaster & Admin Office

Hardover

Post by Hardover » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:19 pm

Thank you Tim, I will contact him. Woke up this morning at 4.30am thinking about what might be wrong so went back to the yacht this afternoon to waste another 3 hours :cry:

Jolly Roger
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:35 pm

There is a current thread on ybw.com about the RM69. If it is not you then it may interest you.
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.ph ... pump-query
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Hardover

Post by Hardover » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:26 am

Cheers Roger, R&M website is unbelievably klunky with dead links everywhere. My wife speaks fluent Dutch having lived there for 10 years so if I can discover a contact number I will get her to contact R&M. If all else fails I'll take it out and replace with a Jabsco or similar.

Hardover

Post by Hardover » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:09 am

Finally managed to suss out the heads installation. The RM69 replaced the original lavac popular with the bulk head mounted pump.The previous owner, after installing the RM69, simply added another piece of pipe using a short stub of copper pipe to connect to the pump inlet valve. This resulted in a very long and tall looping pipe from the seacock to the pump and the RM69 simply was not powerful enough to draw water along the entire length. I've shortened that pipe and now it draws water in with ease. I still have to install a vented loop between the pump and the bowl to prevent syphoning.