Head lining (again)

Big Andy
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly
Location: Me Newport, Boat Milford Haven, soon to be else where.

Head lining (again)

Post by Big Andy »

Good morning Westerly world, I'm hoping somebody out there is aboard their boat and able to help me out please. Can anyone tell me the thickness of the head lining boards on a Westerly Corsair, I want to refit/bodge/repair mine before refitting next week and not sure what size staples to get. It'll probably be 4mm or 6mm ply but not sure which.

Thanks in advance,
Andy.
Westerly Corsair.
Pemva.
Jolly Roger

Re: Head lining (again)

Post by Jolly Roger »

Andy

Why do you need staples? The foam backed vinyl should be glued to the panels.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
Big Andy
Location: Me Newport, Boat Milford Haven, soon to be else where.

Post by Big Andy »

Good morning Roger, you're on the ball. It's not so much a need for staples as a need for complete new foam backed lining and boards but that will have to wait until next year. So for this year staples seem a quick easy repair as the boards themselves are covered in the old glue which just seems to be a tacky mess and could stop a new fresh glue bonding. The foam backing has to all intense and purpose disintergrated so it's just stretch and staple for now although I realise that I'll have to bite the bullet soon and replace the lot. I watched a you tube vid last night and the stapling looked a nice clean way of doing it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4wID_6ODvY
Andy.
Westerly Corsair.
Pemva.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

You must have just posted as I did my morning check of the forum.

Ah, that makes sense now.

I would use stainless steel staples that are 4mm long. If only 6mm available, then insert them at a 45 degree angle to the ply. Then you could still fix on 4 or 6mm ply with no problem.

As you have panels that fit, why not clean off the old glue and re-use with new foam backed vinyl. You can take the panels home to do the work, so much better than having to do it in the boat like headlining bonded to the underside of the deck. See http://www.hawkehouse.co.uk/adhesives/glue-removal.html
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch »

My headlining in the saloon parted company with the ply so I decided to just replace with ply painted white held in place by a matrix of stripwood stained a darker colour. The idea was I could always recover the ply if it didn't work out. But it's been fine and I actually prefer the look more traditional somehow. The ply boards have that silver foil bubble wrap stuff stuck on the back.
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham
Hot Ayre

Post by Hot Ayre »

I've glued (patch glued) laminate flooring insulation foam to the back of my boards and replaced the vinyl with old charts of the area glued on with diluted PVA then varnished. They've conkled a bit but it looks OK. One day I might do the job better. I found the old adhesive came off or at least smoothed itself flat with a hot air stripper and a sharp decorator's scraper (outdoors!!). It's lovely to lie in the quarterberth looking up at Loch Linnhe all neatly marked in rows of leadline measurements! I've nearly finished lining the rest of the hull with carpet. The lower bits of the hull are also lined under the carpet with more insulation. The old girl lives on her mooring all year round. As we also rebedded everything that seemed to be leaking, she's now dry and warm. We've left everything on board for the last 2 winters, including books, and all seems fine.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

If you had asked about gluing a chart I would have advised soaking it for 5 minutes before pasting. Then you would not have got the wrinkles in the paper. I had a similar problem laying sheet music on to a music cabinet for my daughter and research on google gave that advice - and it worked brilliantly.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38