Diesel Heater

kateowen89
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Diesel Heater

Post by kateowen89 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:58 am

Hello

I have a Westerly Longbow 33, she has a diesel heater but I have zero idea of how it works...I can see the button on my instrument panel but that is about it. I am totally new to boats and am learning as I go...can anyone offer me friendly advice as to how to get the heater working?

philipstevens
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Re: Diesel Heater

Post by philipstevens » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:34 pm

If you have located the heater, what make is it. There are different models on the market.
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Hi Kate, welcome and congratulations on finding us :)

The two best-known (and best?) manufacturers are Webasto and Eberspacher. Both will have a pretty simple switch and thermostat but if the boat's been out of use there'll probably be something more complicated to do. There may be a manual in the boat's book (a large loose-leaf binder or similar containing all such things) if you can find that. Failing that, if you can find the machinery (probably in or near the engine compartment - follow the ducts back) it'll have the maker's name and model number on it and you can ask Mr Google.

They work by burning (a small amount of) diesel to heat air which is then blown by an electric fan along wide ducts to the vents. Very effective and wonderful to use at this time of year, especially if the switch is near your bunk!

Good luck!
Last edited by TyroSailor on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

kateowen89

Post by kateowen89 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:11 am

Hi All

Thank you, will try to find out the manufacturer. There isn't anything in the manuals I have on board but will do some investigating!

Big Andy
Location: Me Newport, Boat Milford Haven, soon to be else where.

Post by Big Andy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:27 pm

Hi Kate, which part of the country are in or the boat at least, there may be a fellow forum member on the next pontoon who can help you, you never know. I'm in Milford Haven West Wales myself if your that way, I will be on board with the admiral all week end.
Westerly Corsair.
Pemva.

steve yates

Post by steve yates » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:38 pm

iT COULD ALSO BE A PARRAFIN HEATER, MY LONGBOW, CURRENTLY IN MILFORD HAVEN AWAITING A NEW FUEL TANK, HAS A WALLIS 2800 PARRAFIN HEATER ABOARD. nOT THAT IT WORKS, THE BOAT WAS ON THE HARD FOR A LONG TIME BEFORE i GOT HER.

bugger, sorry about caps, steve