Wood burner/solid fuel heater

30wn78
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Wood burner/solid fuel heater

Post by 30wn78 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:58 am

Hi all,

As the temp is starting to drop I am beginning to consider the long cold nights.
I am contemplating putting the below stove in my centaur.
As it's small I was thinking in the hanging locker.
does anyone have any experience or knowledge in this or something similar?
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boat-Stove-Boa ... Ciid%253A1
Safety factor of 3 please.

TyroSailor

Re: Wood burner/solid fuel heater

Post by TyroSailor » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:32 pm

It's a dinky little stove, isn't it? But how do you stop it setting fire to the boat? And where does the chimney come out?
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

simonk
AntiSpam Text: antispam

Post by simonk » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:04 pm

I seem to remember somewhere on the tinternet that they have been fitted in the hanging locker, but they do a good job of heating the locker & forecabin. Personally I would try & find a location on the main cabin bulkhead.

As Tyro said work out where the flue will go AND keep good ventilation and a carbon monoxide alarm :shock:
stove.jpg
stove.jpg (43.94 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
Regards

Simon

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:47 pm

That looks brilliant, Simon. And what a nice homely cabin! Is it a C layout?
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

simonk
AntiSpam Text: antispam

Post by simonk » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:50 pm

Thank you, but I can't take any credit for this one, I just found an image on the interweb as an example :oops: . I think this is a B layout, the C layout has an aft galley which would work better for a nice cosy stove.
Regards

Simon

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:46 pm

Mine's a B, and the stove is right up forward, under where that heater is. But there's something else there that looks like an oven, except that the oven is where you'd expect it, under the rest of the stove.

He's even got a rug on the deck, that matches the cushions!

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

30wn78

Post by 30wn78 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:08 pm

Hey folks and thanks for the replies.
I was thinking hanging locker on the basis that hopefully a fan can circulate the hot air into the main cabin and the radiant heat would take care of the forcabin.
I was thinking of a tiled surround with maybe a heat resistant mat behind, but no air gap. Tiled strong base also, but as said it is a tiny stove.
Flue straight up and out with a insulated double flue above deck. Which I was thinking could be the 50mm inner and a 75mm outer with glass rope inside.
The bit I'm struggle to find supplies for is a small deck fitting and the cowl but I will keep looking.
I would certainly have a CO and fire alarm.

A Planar diesel heater sometimes crosses my mind but at £600 it soon goes again.
A heater matrix is also on the card but would need the engine on so again not quite right.

If I can source the two bits mentioned I think I will give it a go.
Safety factor of 3 please.

weldingjay
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by weldingjay » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:45 am

I'm also fitting a wood burner in the storage area.I'm fibreglass over ply for the floor heat tile's over that and a surround then removing the window fiberglass to fill then fitting a port hole for the flue exit bit of work but all good fun and cozy winters.

UserError
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by UserError » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:50 pm

Weldingjay,
I would be interested to know what make/model of heater are you fitting?

The link by 30wn78 is to a very small heater - smaller I think than the PA Pansy? I've read the Pansy would struggle to make as voluminous boat as the Centaur cosy & warm, ie you'd still need a pullover.

The price is certainly attractive compared to the main offerings though.
Cheers.
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton

weldingjay

Post by weldingjay » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:34 pm

Its a 4.5 kw multi fuel brand new ebay item £160 .i will post the link .when I find a pen to write down the listing no tomorrow.

Hardover

Post by Hardover » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:33 pm

Probably a bit late but......I fitted that dinky model of stove in my folkboat. It does give off a good amount of heat but due to its diminutive size needs constant refilling. It is very messy in use and no matter how careful I always end up with ash everywhere. It can also spit out burning embers of charcoal which is a bit daunting. I certainly wouldnt leave it unattended because of that. You'll also find that it will create an amazing draught of cold air at foot level. It is good for drying the interior of a boat out but I'm planning on fitting a diesel heater in my new GK29.
Incidently I used silicone fittings widely used in the building industry to pass the flue through the coach roof. Two of them, one inside and one outside. The stainless steel flue (car exhaust pipe) passes through these and is isolated from the coach roof with a winding of stove fire rope. I used a 2 mtr length. It does work as so far my 64 year old wooden folkboat hasnt burned down! Total flue length is 1 mtr in 2 lengths which produces a more than adequate draw. The stove produces a lot of smoke initially but once the lump wood charcoal catches the smoke vanishes. Be aware that it can cause sooty oily deposits on your deck.

Hardover

Post by Hardover » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:05 am

Should have added, the stove sits on a slab of vermiculite board, again widely used in the building industry. It's 25mm thick and can withstand temps to 1100 degrees centigrade so is very effective insulation. The board can be painted or tiled. I havent used insulation at the sides as there is at least a foot of space all around.