Fitting New Eberspacher Heater in Korsort

Gorman501
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Fitting New Eberspacher Heater in Korsort

Post by Gorman501 »

Hello Fellow Sailors.

I want to fit a new Eberspacher Airtroni D2 12v diesel heater in my Konsort. There hasn't been a heater fitted before so this is a completely new install. I'm interested to know if anyone has under taken a similar project on a Konsort. Things I would like clarity and direction on are.

From looking at the kit (see link below) it looks like there is approx 1 meter of exhaust pipe and also 2 pieces of ducting perhaps one at 2" and one at c. 1" diameter both at c. 1 meter long. Based on what comes with the kit; questions...!

1) Where should I fit the main heater unit within the Starboard cockpit locker and what is best way to secure it in position?
2) How should I route the exhaust pipe out?
3) I thought it would be effective to have 2 outlets maybe one under the galley starboard bunk and one somehow in the fore cabin area probably going through the hanging locker area. Presumably I would need a reducing T fitting and run a smaller duct up to fore cabin? Any thoughts?

See Heater Kit Here; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBERSPACHER-A ... 1768276556

Any advise/tips from anyone who has successfully done this would be much appreciated.
Kind Regards,
Gorman501
Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure: No

Re: Fitting New Eberspacher Heater in Korsort

Post by Jolly Roger »

When I fitted an Eberspacher D4 to my Fulmar, I had the local agent come to the boat and specify exactly what I needed. It was fitting a replacement system, not a fresh instal, but with only the exhaust fitting was not replaced. There was an increase in the system which did involve some extra holes in bulkheads. Nothing terribly difficult.

Someone with a Konsort should be able to advise the best route for the trunking, electrical cables and the fuel supply.

I was advised by a Webasto dealer that I should fit an extra fuel filter (a Webasto part). He also showed me the difference in design of the burners between Ebaspacher and Webasto, and why he said the Webasto was a better burner that was less likely to become blocked. Knowing this now, I would probably have bought a Webasto, so it may be worth considering a Webasto.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
Rob Pike

Post by Rob Pike »

Mine is just aft of the throttle control and the ducting is run straight into the engine bay and comes out at the bottom starboard side of the engine cover.
I only have one outlet and it is fine there as it blows straight do to the forepeak.
Gorman501

Post by Gorman501 »

HI Rob,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know which model you have? Is it; Eberspacher Airtroni D2 or Eberspacher Airtroni D4. (One is 2kw other is 4kw.)
And which way is the exhaust routed. I assume it is as high us as possible on the Stern?
Also what happens if you want to access the engine, is the pipe attached to the engine cover?
From what you are saying the main pipe run must be close to 3 meters long, no?
Finally, does it give off any excess unwanted heat in the engine area or not?
Sorry for all these questions... Just over enthusiastic here... :|
Waka Tiki
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by Waka Tiki »

Hi Rob I had a similar unit fitted to my Berwick . The heater is in the starboard cockpit locker with an outlet by the galley into the saloon and the second in the forward cabin. As you know there always needs to be one vent open so the kit came with one open and one " closeable" vent. The fitters advised that the "closeable" vent should be forward. This was a mistake :( . With the galley vent permenantly open there was not enough force to get warm air to the forecabin. I had to swap the two vents around... Not as easy as it should be as they are different sizes and I had to reduce one of the holes with sheet plastic.

I now have the closeable vent by the galley to warm the salon and the open vent forward.

Regards John
Chriswesterman

Post by Chriswesterman »

We fitted a MV Airo 2kW to a Konsort in Feb. Its the same size as a Webasto 2000 - 60mm ducting, so similar to the Ebers D2

Mounted - as high as possible behind and above the throttle ( this is as high as possible in the profile where the winches are bolted ed - can not think what it is called) There was not much space around, but wanted to maximize cockpit locker space. Glassed in plywood and screwed on metal bracket. Ducting was taken straight out of heater , under the winch, slight tortured route to under the plate panel and through the bulkhead entering by the sink. Then under the fridge and cooker . This part was the hardest as getting the ducting behind the footpump needed some existing pipes having to be re-positioned. One outlet is in the starboard locker and another is in the hanging locker. All the ducting is run at the back of the lockers so as not to take up space.

Would I do the same again ? - I took over 6 months trying to work out the best location. The trouble is there is no ideal location each having pros and cons. All I can say is I'm glad we fitted it as it makes a big difference.

We lagged all ducting with insulation. Expensive but worth it. The insulation we had needed to be slide down the ducting. If you get the same, put a plastic bag on the end of the ducting before sliding the insulation over as it stops snagging.

The open outlet we have forward and the closable one by the cooker. We don't have any problems with hot air out of both of them when it is open. When one closed and heater on max, I can only hold my hand over the vent for a very short time.

The fuel was taken via a new standpipe at the aft section of the fuel tank. It was easy to do with the right tools.

Regards

Chris
philipstevens

Post by philipstevens »

Gorman501 wrote:Hello Fellow Sailors.

I want to fit a new Eberspacher Airtroni D2 12v diesel heater in my Konsort. There hasn't been a heater fitted before so this is a completely new install. I'm interested to know if anyone has under taken a similar project on a Konsort. Things I would like clarity and direction on are.

From looking at the kit (see link below) it looks like there is approx 1 meter of exhaust pipe and also 2 pieces of ducting perhaps one at 2" and one at c. 1" diameter both at c. 1 meter long. Based on what comes with the kit; questions...!

1) Where should I fit the main heater unit within the Starboard cockpit locker and what is best way to secure it in position?
2) How should I route the exhaust pipe out?
3) I thought it would be effective to have 2 outlets maybe one under the galley starboard bunk and one somehow in the fore cabin area probably going through the hanging locker area. Presumably I would need a reducing T fitting and run a smaller duct up to fore cabin? Any thoughts?

See Heater Kit Here; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBERSPACHER-A ... 1768276556

Any advise/tips from anyone who has successfully done this would be much appreciated.
Kind Regards,
Gorman501
Hi Gorman,
have you thought about fitting an Eberspacher Hydronic in the boat?

We had a Hydronic in our Duo, that had two water-filled radiators, and also heated the hot water calorifier. Not only that, but the system was also fed from the engine cooling water system, that could give us hot water for the calorifier and/or the radiators.

The Hydronic heater unit was fitted into the port aft cockpit locker, and all piping was in 20mm plastic plumbing. The header tank was also in this locker. The exhaust was in the transom.

We had one radiator in the main cabin, under the table (you have space forward of the centre table), and the other was in for fore-cabin. The radiators were thermostatically controlled.

A later addition was an electrically blown matrix heater coming off the water system to give a quick boost if required.

regards,
Philip
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net
Gorman501

Post by Gorman501 »

Hi Philip.

I didn't know such a thing existed....! Presumably it runs on diesel as well. I like the idea of heating the hot water as well. There must have been a serious about of plumbing for such a pressurised system. It would need an expansion vessel and pump. I will do some more research and see what I can find. Thanks for the tip.

Paul
philipstevens

Post by philipstevens »

We had a Hydronic 4 in our Duo, two radiators, header tank, and dual coil calorifier with immersion heater element. We could use the element if in a marina for hot water only, and an electric fan heater (when in a marina) - if required.

See http://www.eberspacher.com/applications ... aters.html
and http://www.eberspacher.com/products/fue ... ating.html

Plumbing is a lot easier, as you can use 15mm plastic plumbing pipes with pushfit connectors.

We had thermostat valves fitted to the radiators and calorifier.

The illustration shows it on a mono using matrix blowers, but mobo's usually have plenty of electrical power for such installations. We had two radiators, one in the saloon, and one up forward. There was a connection to the calorifier - not shown on the mono illustration.

The second coil in the calorifier tapped hot water from the engine cooling fresh water system - indirectly cooled VP2003.

The Hydronic system did not require a separate expansion vessel, as excess pressure was returned to the header tank, that was a pressure vessel with a radiator pressure cap. An expansion vessel was fitted to the domestic fresh water system. Any excess pressure in the calorifier/water system was directed to a plastic bottle.

I sold Duo Oyster two years ago, and she is now in the River Severn, on the Gloucester side.
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net
Hot Ayre

Post by Hot Ayre »

We were about to ask a similar question about fitting a Propex heater on our Konsort. There's 1.5metres exhaust hose and 3m outlet (hot air) hose. Any suggestions re the best route to run the outlet hose and site the heater itself? We were thinking of using the top of the cockpit locker for siting the actual heater as there will be a gas hose going that way to the cooker when we re-instate the gas system. An alternative might be to site the heater above the headboard in the quarterberth and have the outlet higher up. A further alternative is to run the outlet hose through the engine compartment and have the outlet below the steps.
Gorman501

Post by Gorman501 »

Having done some more research I have decided to go for a Wabasto. I am hoping to fit it in May when I get down to Guernsey to where my boat is. I will respond with a detailed report when I have completed the work. Thank you for all the comments and suggestions here. It is much appreciated and has helped a lot.

Sincerely.

Gorman501
Gorman501

Post by Gorman501 »

Having done some more research I have decided to go for a Wabasto. I am hoping to fit it in May when I get down to Guernsey to where my boat is. I will respond with a detailed report when I have completed the work. Thank you for all the comments and suggestions here. It is much appreciated and has helped a lot.

Sincerely.

Gorman501
Centaurolly

Post by Centaurolly »

I can say from experience over the last couple of days trying to work out what's wrong with my eberspacher, do not install your heater unit on the far side of the engine bay from the lazarette.

I've had to learn to bend in ways that i really wasn't designed for.......
aquaplane
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by aquaplane »

Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.
Hot Ayre

Post by Hot Ayre »

Well, we've fitted our Propex heater as high up in the cockpit locker as we could - all very straightforward - and now have a hot air outlet in the saloon next to the galley. Fired it up for the first time today and it's excellent. Warm and toasty on the lowest setting; would have to be seriously cold before we turned up the thermostat! A little noisy due to the nature of the outlet pipe but at least that reminds us it's running (along with the light on the thermostat/switch) so that we don't waste gas.