The eternal leak

Niallo
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

The eternal leak

Post by Niallo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:27 pm

I've been workin on my centaur which is out of the water for the last few days. I have had to empty water from the compartment under cool box on numerous ocassions evey time I empty it it fills up to a certain level again the only place I can figure that the water is coming from are these two holes. Does anyone else have this problem or know where the water is coming from.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

TyroSailor
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: The eternal leak

Post by TyroSailor » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:31 pm

Might there be a leak from the fresh water system? I had a similar problem in my Centaur - water under the cabin sole (which of course is almost inaccessible) and under the cold box. Turned out to be a leaking FW foot pump! Worth a check at least.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Vegable

Post by Vegable » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:11 pm

Have you tried sprinkling flour around your bilge? It should then indicate the route the water is taking and by selective sprinkling you should then be able to track the leak to it's source.
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"

aquaplane

Post by aquaplane » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:05 am

As far as I can tell on my B layout Centaur that locker is isolated from the rest of the bilge.
So the water is either:
1, coming from outside, in which case it's salt. Also it shouldn't stop coming in until it's up to the waterline, it doesn't look to be that.
2, It's somehow getting in from inside, but I can't see how. Is it salt? does it get deeper with time? Does it get deeper with rain?

You have a puzzler there. Please keep up informed as to what you find, I for one will be interested.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:46 pm

I thought it was isolated (in my B layout Centaur) too, but fresh water was definitely getting in from the galley locker bilge, via the main bilge.
Have you tasted it?
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:55 pm

I too had a similar situation.

Did the taste test. You need to have a strong constitution for that, given that it could be salt, fresh (rain), fresh (water tank), or not so fresh (heads plumbing!!!)

It turned out to be fresh (and not too savoury) so guessed that it was from the water tank in the bow. To confirm I put a squirt of Red food dye into the filler and half filled the tank. My suspicions were well founded as the resulting evidence was a fetching shade of pink water in the bilge after a few days. As I never drink the tank water, due to boat age and the mystery of what microbes would have evolved over the many years, I just use it for washing up and 'ablutions'. (It does mean having two kettles though).

The food dye is harmless and tasteless and will dilute down over time if it turns out not to be the source of your water ingress.

Unc
Uncle Albert
CR1702

Niallo

Post by Niallo » Thu May 12, 2016 10:55 pm

For anyone still interested I think I've discovered the source of the leak it turns out that one of the seacocks is letting in water even when it's closed. The fitting on the pipe that is connected to the seacock wasn't tightened fully and was letting this water in. Solved I think!!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Backwaters

Post by Backwaters » Tue May 17, 2016 2:12 pm

I have the EXACT same issue! The odd thing is that my Centaur, which I purchased November 2015, has been on the hard for three years. Also, I had drained the water tank last year. The water that collects in my cool box bilge is slightly yellow? I'm certainly not going to taste it. Could it be condensation? I haven't been out enough to see if it's associated with rain.