Windows

alecsmart
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Opposite Easterly

Windows

Post by alecsmart »

I have a westerly oceanquest and am in Portugal awaiting an Atlantic crossing. Part of my preparations has reached the Windows. I have moonlight glass. Any ideas about getting the right size strengthened glass.
By the way, I have put on the following so may assist with the odd problem....but they were professionally installed....
Watermaker
Solar panels
Wind generator
Copper coat
Steel bridge work aft
Hydrovane
GN Espace cooker (£2500!!!!)
Portable freezer
Portable air conditioning
Low power fans
Solar fans
Storm survival kit
Twin headsails,
Boom brake
Iridium phone
Navionics navigation
Sailmakers and riggers
Sailing to the Algarve the easy way.

After doing the circuit I may sell the boat for a motorboat and less challenging sailing. As you know toys do not add value to the boat so I will remove them and sell separately. The boat is well loved and 1997. New sails and rigging.
Trevor
mikebuggy

Re: Windows

Post by mikebuggy »

Having done a few of these trips, I can offer a little advice. Communications and the ability to regularly get and download reliable long distance weather forecasts are essential. You may need to set up something in advance for this, for example an account to allow download of gribfiles via satellite. You will need to study the various sources of forecasts and the methods of receiving them. A full SSB TX/RX system is very useful but at this late stage is probably too big and expensive a project, but it is still worth having a simple HF SSB receiver with a good aerial and earth. No licence needed. But you will need to research all the times and frequencies of all the weather transmissions available. There are many open information and chatter nets on HF SSB in the WIs and these are great ways of listening in to whats happening when and where and also what weather is on the way.
It also helps to have a WiFi booster on board (with active aerial) as reception in many places is poor.
Good flexible anchoring systems with a number of different sized anchors and rodes.
Anchor snubbers (elastic line and hook)are ESSENTIAL.
An electric windlass capstan is very useful indeed.
The ability to carry a LOT of spare fuel in separate containers. (I managed to stow a lot of mine UNDER a false floor made half way down the mighty cockpit locker)
A lot of extra water in large 25L polyethelene containers stowed all around the boat below decks.
Simplify your gas system down to just a hose and portable regulator so it can easily be modified at any timeto take any type of local gas bottles and regulators. Take plenty of spare gaz type bottles...even empty ones. These can be filled anywhere. Just dont ask how or what it is!
The ability to easily deep reef the main safely.
The ability to rig a strong inner working jib...preferably hanked onto a 2nd non furler forestay.
Prepare to run the engine A LOT. You will. Bring the kit for the equivalent of at least 2 full annual services.
Spare electric water pump and spare diaphragms for manual bilge pumps (you should have 2 of these, 1 in and out)
Ensure you have the full kit for emergency tiller steering and check it out in real life. You may need to move the mainsheet and you may need block and tackle for the tiller. you should have these made up.
Convert your anchor light to LED. You will use this a lot at sea.
If your aft lower shroud chainplates haven't been renewed since build, consider doing this now.
Spare wooden washboards. Also lanyards to secure washboard at sea.
Strongbacks or similar on large hatches so they can be lashed down.
Large wooden blanks with strongback and through-bolt. One blank for each size of large opening (eg main hatch, large cabin window).
Possible spares for autohelm. Wheelpilots are particularly vulnerable. Below decks linear Drive/Ram types are far tougher.
An AIS receiver is extremely useful...almost essential.
Extremely powerful plug-in waterproof 12V spotlight. Lots and Lots and Lots of torches.
Increase your fridge insulation dramatically. particularly at the sides and below. Even if you have to jigsaw open holes in the lockers and bulkheads to get at it. I used lots and lots of offcuts of cellotex. Consder fitting a 12V computer fan in the space near your fridge compressor to boost the flow of cold air from the bilges past the compressor.
Put more openings, vents and grills all around the box/locker in which the fridge motor is installed.
ESSENTIAL: Fit a 12 V extractor fan to the side of the engine room. You can just use ordinary tumble dryer type ducting to take the outlet up the coaming where it can exhaust via a cowling. It is an EXTRACTOR fan, NOT a blower. Youll be amazed how effective this is.
Double the number of tins of good quality meat (especially chicken/steak/mince/beef etc). Pretty rare/unavailable abroad. Tins of veg/fruit etc are plentiful everywhere so you dont need to overdo these.
Be aware of mainsail chafe around the spreader roots and ends....ie full length of the spreaders.
Have a Sea anchor or drogue and lines.
Have a good grab bag under the cabin entrance. Once at sea, have all the personal paperwork in waterproof folders stored in this. Also a waterproof VHF.
Practice heaving-to and MOB recovery under sail.

Hope this helps.
I better stop!....I could go on!