westerly sea cock repair head inlet and outlet

peteware
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:westerly

Post by peteware » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:50 pm

new video second chance sailing hope there clear

remember if your boat sinks on its mooring the insurance will not pay out if the sea cocks are left open even if that’s not SUNK IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDZBB4ukWU0

jim1945

Re: westerly sea cock repair head inlet and outlet

Post by jim1945 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:40 pm

Thanks for the video, Pete. I have the same two sea cocks on my Cirrus which are disconnected because I have a portable head. Both of mine are frozen meaning I can't open them from their closed position. I was thinking of just removing them all together because, well, just two less holes in the boat. But now that I understand them a bit more because of your video I think I will try to unfreeze them and check their overall condition.

Jim

TyroSailor
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Post by TyroSailor » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:45 pm

You need them, Jim, if you're going to be able to use the heads! You could have a proper one then that you don't have to empty ashore - a horrible job.

The valves in the video look a bit pink to me - meaning that the tin in the bronze (or the zinc in the brass?) has been corroded away leaving mostly copper. I'm not sure that this matters a great deal though.

Mine were similarly corroded (or at least the outlet one was) and I've cleaned it up on a gentle belt sander. I'm hoping that it'll work when I refit it as once the boat's in the water it'll have to stay there. Is there any way of testing the valve pre-launch?
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

peteware

Post by peteware » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:23 pm

hi all I was class 4 setter and cnc operator years ago these blake seacocks are a taper fit
very good design they were tapered great idea so they would wear in over time
you wont find anything that’s made to do that now no last 2 long (like they did )
there is one design floor in them if the top exposed part of the taper is not cleaned and greased once a year the part that’s ready to wear into place gets pitted so instead of lasting forever they don’t
westerly made them a pain to get at ( a door would have been nice) but rubbing them down a bits ok but don’t over do it light sanding would be ok easy to test if your ashore just connect a hose pipe
from the bottom like I said a bit of valve grinding paste (clean off after use) the only mod I will be making is to cut 2 holes right on top of them so you could use a t-bar to open close them in seconds
like the firemen use on standpipes

jim1945

Post by jim1945 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:42 pm

Steve, the head I have now is what is called in the USA a port-a-potty, meaning portable toilet. These have pump out connections (hoses) so you don't have to lift the potty out of the boat. I don't really take long multi-day cruises with the Cirrus so don't need something with a large holding tank. And further, the outlet hose isn't legal in the USA. Can't pump to our Lake Erie waters.

TyroSailor
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Post by TyroSailor » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:56 pm

Sounds fine Jim, and I do understand about not pumping out into a lake, even one the size of Lake Erie! You're not supposed to discharge any waste into the sea within three miles of the British coast (twelve in the English Channel), a custom more honoured in the breach than he observance, I fancy. At least on this side. Things are different in Belgium, where I hope to sail in a year or two so I might have to fit a holding tank :(

The taper fit seems a good idea, Pete. Is it just the top bit (without the hole) that forms the seal? If so I should be OK. The two holes to turn the cock with are unnecessary as there's a big brass handle :) I might try a hose into the outlet hole, if I can get it to fit.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton