Westerly Internal Varnish

Pethautwp
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Westerly Internal Varnish

Post by Pethautwp » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:27 pm

Hi, I'm told that the Morelos 440 is spray on only, is this the case?

FulmarOnia
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by FulmarOnia » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:53 pm

I posted earlier about what I used on my Fulmar with great success. I thought post an update as I've used a different approach for my Corsair.

What I have used is Sadolin PV67 heavy duty varnish. This is a two part catalysed varnish that you mix in a ratio of 10:1, this is best measured out by buying syringes online; the ratio is fairly critical, and it needs to be applied in the 15-25 degree temperature range. It is also quite "smelly" when it dries. However, it dries very quickly and can be overcoated within an hour or two hours, depending on whether it is the first coat,or second or third coat. Only three coats are required.

The product is very hard wearing and is sold for use on floors and bar-tops. There is virtually no discernible difference between the final appearance of this varnish and the original Westerly Lacquer.

I originally bought it to refurbish the companionway steps. As the product emphasised that it should only be used on bare wood, I removed virtually every spec of the original lacquer on the steps. Having successfuly used it there I experimented and used it on the back of the panel at the back of the steps without removing all the original lacquer, and..... it was absolutely fine. Subsequently I have used it on the galley and some other panels without removing the original lacquer; indeed only giving them a fairly light rub down. Some of the panels and steps I originally did 5 months ago and they show no sign of an adverse reaction.

I called the technical help desk at Sadolin and they confirmed that if it was being used on top of a two part lacquer it was less likely to react than if used on a traditional one-pot varnish. They also said that if there was no sign of an adverse reaction within a month then there was unlikely to be a problem, but their official line was to only use it on bare wood!

Do your own tests ( backs of cupboard doors ?) but I would suggest that if the boat has never been re-varnished since new then this product will work OK, and be virtually a direct match --- oh one more thing, do follow the instructions and thoroughly shake the can before applying, otherwise it will be far too gloss!

Sailorfranco

Post by Sailorfranco » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:52 am

Hi FulmarOnia,
I also own a Corsair and As only some of my woodwork needs revarnishing a good match would be essential. Did you use the gloss or satin? As I don't think the original has any gloss aspect at all (or at least on my boat). Did you take any photos? It would be great to see what it looks like. Mine is a mk II and the Parts with most wear are the post and surface in front of the companion way and the drawers unit in the galley opposite to it, plus the chart table.
Does your final result have any gloss/shine or is it pretty opaque with no wet aspect?
Thanks

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:38 pm

The original internal woodwork was finished using a lacquer. The product Westerly used is Morrells Low Odour Acid Curing Lacquer & Catalyst (5203/450), and thinners (5007/450). This finish has a 20% Gloss rating. No priming required. Use a good quality metal backed paint pad to apply.

It comes from Morrells Woodfinishes Ltd, Wellington Works, Mill Lane, Woodley, Stockport, Cheshire. SK6 1RN.
+44 (0)8705 60 61 62
www.morrells-woodfinishes.com/
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

FulmarOnia

Post by FulmarOnia » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:55 pm

Sailor Franco,
It was the Satin PV67 I used. you need to make sure both parts are well shaken before you mix them otherwise it will not come out satin, but will instead appear gloss I made that mistake on one piece !

I'm afraid I don't have before and after photos, but as I said there is no discernible difference between this finish and the original. I'm gradually working round my Corsair, so by no means finished yet.

Where the existing varnish is in reasonable shape I rubbed down and then only used two coats.

Give it a try - but test out on the back of some cupboard doors first.

Where are you based - I , or rather the boat, is in Ipswich, UK

Andrew

Sailorfranco

Post by Sailorfranco » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:14 am

Thank you both for the useful information. I will look into it and decide what to use probably based on what surfaces I am actually going to do.
I'm based in Torpoint, Cornwall, near Plymouth and I am member of the SW group.
Boat is Crystal Star, corsair n 157, one before the last. :)
Franco

Fulmar433
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by Fulmar433 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:06 pm

I used the Morrels lacquer mainly on the floor, but I did freshen up quite a bit more of my Fulmar, and after 2 seasons, it still looks like new. I used a good quality brush with good results. I did have some photos in an earlier post in this topic, but since Photobucket have started charging they are no longer visible. I will try and find the pictures and put them on Flickr and update the links.

Roger's link to Morrels is a bit out of date, it should be http://www.morrells.co.uk/ They have local branches, I think your nearest is Exeter. I contacted my local branch in Kent and they had it in the following day. One of the drawbacks is it comes in 5l cans. I think it cost me about £70.

Edit: Here's a couple of shots of the results. The floor was stripped back using paint stripper as I had some saltwater get in through some worn / scratched areas. The bulk head was only sanded to attempt to remove some dark horizontal strips, probably from the manufacturing process. In hindsight I should have stripped the bulkhead back to bare wood as well. The table is on the list of jobs to do sometime.

ImageUntitled by d.metcalfe, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by d.metcalfe, on Flickr
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent