Fulmar bilge pump position

Mistymoo
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Fulmar bilge pump position

Post by Mistymoo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:46 pm

The bilge pump on my fulmar sits on a wooden base fixed to the floor. This wooden base however covers up a kind of recess which is moulded in to the floor of the hull. When viewed from underneath it takes the shape and size of a very large hull anode. I think the original idea was for the pump to be positioned in this recess in order to more efficiently pump out out any water collecting in the bilges. If that is the case, does anyone know why a previous owner would cover this over?

Jolly Roger

Re: Fulmar bilge pump position

Post by Jolly Roger » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:33 am

Your question is slightly confusing to read. Do you have any photos to help explain the problem.

The bilge pump unit in my Fulmar is mounted in the aft end of the cockpit. The strum box at the end of the bilge pump hose is mounted in the bilge just aft of the table. However I will be moving to just in front of the engine as you will only use a bilge pump if a massive amount of water has been taken onboard and the difference in height will make little difference to water removal. All final water removal from the bilge will alwys be with a sponge.

Are you talking about the small moulded recess under the cooker? If so, this is where the foot operated galley pump was mounted. Most boats have now changed over to pressurised water, so this has become redundant. Or is the moulded recess you are talking about, the keel rib to reinforce the hull structure.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Fulmar433
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by Fulmar433 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:36 pm

The strum box from one of my manual bilge pumps lies in the low point in the hull that you are talking about. I also have an automatic electric pump mounted under the cabin floor just forward of the engine. I can't see any reason to cover the low point. Pumping from a virtually flat bilge would leave a small amount of water slopping around. I guess this was designed to get the strum box lower and enable virtually all the water to be removed.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

Bertgear

Post by Bertgear » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:38 pm

as stated by others the hose and Strum box sits in the recess to pump from the lowest point
Bert Gear
Fulmar FR 281 'Rubicon'
ilfracombe

Mistymoo

Post by Mistymoo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:34 pm

Sorry for the confusion (and the late reply - went off to get a photo) The boat is fairly new to me and so I am discovering new things all the time. I think the attached photo will better explain what I meant.
I still wonder why anyone would do away with something so useful. Its like a little sump.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (216.99 KiB) Viewed 1397 times

Fulmar433
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by Fulmar433 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:10 pm

Yes it does seem a strange thing to do. It looks as though it has been filled in to give a flat surface to mount the electric pump. You are loosing the ability for any small amount of water to gather in the sump and being able to pump it out.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent