Bilge cleaning

wotan4
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:westerly
Bilge cleaning

Post by wotan4 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:19 pm

I have a Westerly Renown and have completed all the engine maintenance but I now need to clean the bilges through. There a little oil (from the previous owner) and grime so I need a cleaner. I have been recommended Bilgex but cannot find anywhere that sells 1 litre size. I really did not want to buy 5 litres.
Can any members suggest here I can buy 1 litre or if all else fails, is there any alternative product that I could use that would clean oil, grease and grime etc
mike
Wotan4

aquaplane

Re: Bilge Cleaning

Post by aquaplane » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:45 pm

GUNK for car engines would probably work. Brush it on and rinse off I think.

Best not to pump it and the rinsings out in a marina or anywhere sensitive though.

Fairy disperses the oil so that you can pump it away too, which is all you are doing with anything else.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

Nigel Birch
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Re: Bilge cleaning

Post by Nigel Birch » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:28 am

Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham

philipstevens
Anti Spam measure:Yes

Post by philipstevens » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:14 pm

All I have ever used is the ordinary washing-up liquid (even the el-cheapo stuff from the £-shop) in warm or (better still) hot water. A gentle scrub, and it all comes off - and you are left with a "lemony" smell, instead of the Bilgex smell.

Bilgex is better for heavily ingrained grease and grime though.

One spray product that will remove most things, is Elbow Grease, at £1 from £-shops and the like.
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net

Waka Tiki

Post by Waka Tiki » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:53 pm

Hi there,
A few years ago I was restoring a very neglected Kingfisher 26. The bilges were very stained due to accumulation of oil and several rusted cans. After a lot of fruitless scrubbing, and after protecting the engine and removing mattresses etc... I decided that if you can power-wash the outside... why not the inside..? Obviously it was a very damp affair but the old kingfisher had a GRP headlining so it was just a case of mopping and letting it dry and we were out of the water on hard standing.

Sounds a daft idea but I was getting fed up... and it worked! Obviously trying this would depend on what stage of restoration you are at...

Regards John

Terry Sankey
Anti Spam measure:Yes

Post by Terry Sankey » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:38 pm

My Pageant had years of oil in my bilges.
I bought some environmentally friendly natural bilge cleaner made out of zest of lemons. It might sound "cracked" but it proved very good. It cleaned off all the oil into a sludge that I sponged into a bucket and washed out with water. The boat smelt clean and fresh and I then gave a coat of white bilge paint. I highly recommend it as an environmentally good product. I can't remember what it's called but I bought it on eBay and was told about it. A search for bilge cleaner and citrus or Lemon will find it. I bought 5 litres.