Uncomfortable sleeping

wotan4
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:westerly
Uncomfortable sleeping

Post by wotan4 » Fri May 08, 2015 2:42 pm

On my Westerly Renown which sleeps 6 ok, the cushions are vinyl clad and easy to clean etc.
They are however, uncomfortable to sleep on and I ache in every bone I have after sleeping on board.
I cannot really afford to replace all the cushions with new ones.
Has any members encountered the same issues? Is there a topping I can get to help and if so, how deep and what is the specification for the foam etc?
Mike

Vegable
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Re: UNCOMFORTABLE SLEEPING

Post by Vegable » Sat May 09, 2015 1:24 am

Hi again Mike...engine query,
I too sufferred badly and ended up sleeping in the aft cabin which I found was very comfortable. You could try a lightly blown up air-bed, if you're as old as me they used to be called a LiLo haven't a clue what they're called now, and lastly try using an extra pillow at neck level. As a last resort a visit to a chiropracter/ osteopath might help.
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"

philipstevens
Anti Spam measure:Yes

Re: UNCOMFORTABLE SLEEPING

Post by philipstevens » Sat May 09, 2015 8:13 am

wotan4 wrote: Is there a topping I can get to help and if so, how deep and what is the specification for the foam etc?
Mike
Have a look at the Ikea mattress toppings. They are either foam or memory foam, single or double.
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net

TyroSailor

Re: Uncomfortable sleeping

Post by TyroSailor » Mon May 18, 2015 9:12 pm

I've tried sleeping with a duvet under me as well as over me if I've been on an uncomfartable bed - with some success. Worth a try before you spend any money?
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

wotan4

Post by wotan4 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:39 pm

Thanks for your ideas guys.
I like the idea of duvet under and over and I shall try this first. If it works ok for me I can get a couple of new ones for the boat from Tesco. The underneath one can have higher tog rating and thus be thicker. This, hopefully will do the job.
The stern cabin is empty so I can try sleeping in there. It should be nice and snug.
I will give all this a try as there is nothing worse than a hard days sailing when you come back knackered and then cannot sleep comfortably.
Mike

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Mon May 18, 2015 11:33 pm

Mike.

If your vinyl covers are in good condition, why not just replace the foam in the berth(s) you use. Check this firm out for supplies. https://www.foamforhome.co.uk/Foam_products/foam.html

As an aside I am having new cushions made for my Fulmar and they will cost me just under £800, compared to the well known suppliers quoting from £2500 upward. I located a local firm close to my marina who are supplying the foam and labour for £600 and I had to buy the material. The cheapest the main suppliers quoted was £20 per metre (1.4 wide), but I found a remnant identical to one at £20 on ebay at £5.50 per metre (I bought 25 metres, which I know is too much but I will sell the balance). The only extra is I have bought the button blanks and will make and fit them myself, this saves a lot of money. You will just have to ask around to find someone local to you and you should find the cost is not as bad as expected.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

aquaplane

Post by aquaplane » Tue May 19, 2015 8:12 am

I have found a fleecy blanket on top of the cushion is nice against my baby soft skin*.

We have two 1.8 x 0.8m from Lidl which were advertised by a woman wrapped up watching TV, they came in a little stuff sac and weren't expensive.

Ikea do something similar, a Polarvide throw for £3.

* I don't have baby soft skin.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

thegasmannick

Post by thegasmannick » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:44 am

my centaur was uncomfortable and with a bad back I needed a solution and have found one that is sorted my problems out with sleep and space
I widened the galley bed slightly and bought a futon mattress which my wife recovered cheaply it is now our main cushion folded in half and then we pullout bed and unfold futon mattress and sleep my best sleep I hardly sleep at home so to get a good nites kip on me boat is heaven

total cost of conversion was 135 pounds and that covered all galley cushions as well and wood required for seat extension bonus it modernised my interior too
westerly centaur, bilge keel ,sailing area river orwell ,

The Dorans

Post by The Dorans » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:12 pm

Hi peeps,

I live aboard my Pentland and have found that 2" foam under the cushions ns helps to reduce pressure where my hips and shoulders nearly touch the interior mouldings. Not glamorous but certainly cheap and easy to use. When you're sailing you can always stow them in a locker.

Dan.

steve parry
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:Pentland

Post by steve parry » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:49 am

Hi,

We have a Pentland (WALKABOUT - 1979 - PD222 Based in Island Harbour on the River Medina) which we have had for 13 years and have made many modifications and upgrades over the years. People who have seen/been onboard her loved her, in some cases wanted to buy her!! Have you tried putting slats under the cushions, we have and it makes a big difference. We bought ours from IKEA (cheap and cheerful!) and modified to fit the forward cabin, it also helps with condensation under the cushions.

I am one of the Boatline members for the Pentland class, number in the WOA handbook - Happy to mull over any idea's, mods etc.

Regards

Steve Parry