Head and side linings

Waka Tiki
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:westerly
Re: Head and side linings

Post by Waka Tiki » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi,
This is one of the "to do " jobs on my 1979 westerly Berwick.

A chap called Jeff Hall has a solution that he has posted on YouTube.
He lives on a 32 foot Mac Wester which he has partly lined with cladding from B and Q. Interestingly he says he left the old lining up and put the wood over it.

His video is worth a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUC0op9N_m8

If I've not added this link properly ( and I probably havn't) just type "headliner in a boat" into YouTube and his clip is about the 2nd or 3rd... His clip is a year old but the cladding he used is still sold by B and Q.

Regards John

TyroSailor
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Post by TyroSailor » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm

That looks great! But what happens if you need to get at the inside of the hull - to find a leak, fit a new cleat or repair some damage? This is what would put me off doing that kind of job.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Waka Tiki

Post by Waka Tiki » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi TyroSailor

I see your point but I don't think (famous last words) that would be an issue.

In the video Jeff says he hasn't glued or screwed it down its just tongue and grooved together and held in place with the trim at either end or side.

In a way I would think it would be easier to get to a leak than with glued on foam which I have on the sides of my Berwick. It would, I think, also be possible to run thin wires behind the panelling. My previous boat, a Kingfisher 26 (lovely boat... even though its not a Westerly!... at the time a mate and I couldn't afford a Centaur.) had an interior moulding. Wipe-able, strong and bright with no Westerly droop possible. But it got a bit drippy with condensation and it was impossible to add exterior fittings without cutting into it. When we decided to have all lines led aft (... wont do that again but that's another story) we had to clamp the rope jammers to the VERY substantial stainless grab rails running either side of the coach roof.

My concern would be the wood getting wet from condensation around the windows and if you look at a few pictures on the net of boats with wooden interiors you sometimes see this; but Jeff seems to have gone some way to addressing this with a bit of plastic trim.

If the worst came to it and you had to damage some of the wood its cheap to buy a bit more from B and Q. When I do DIY at home, (tiles, flooring etc) I always buy a bit more as its sods law that when you need to repair or patch the company has stopped making the original stuff.

I must admit I'm tempted by this system. I've got removable wooden panels for the head lining but the sides are slashed to bits by a previous owners attempts to repair the vinyl without using foam backing.

I'm more concerned about how solidly fixed it would be and at the very least Id want to glue it ( big fan of gorilla glue at the moment.. its just resurrected my Dubarry boots) around the windows. I think if I go for it I would like at least one section firmly glued... I have a hankering for an amidships gimballed oil lamp.

Cheers John

Joint Venture

Post by Joint Venture » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:46 am

I have a Griffon. When I bought her the main cabin headlining had been replaced with ply (painted white) supported by hardwood battens. There was insulation above the ply (the silver stuff sold for backing radiators I think). The whole thing looks well, is warm and the headlining can be removed for any maintenance required. I suppose I was lucky since the job was skilfully done in the first place.

Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:19 pm

I'm in the process of doing what Joint Venture describes....
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:49 pm

I quite like the sound of that. Maybe when I've done all the other jobs (in about 2047 at the current rate of progress) I might have a go at it. Maybe bond the battens to the deckhead to avoid drilling holes. Gorilla Glue experience anyone?
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:01 am

sabatack is my favourite....screws are good though just into the inner lining...not so good if you go all the way through...
Nigel

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:52 pm

Yes. That's what worries me. Holes in the hull, generally, are a Bad Thing.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:24 pm

I'd never screw anything into the hull for obvious reasons but the coach roof is fine....
Nigel

StephenJervis

Post by StephenJervis » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:12 pm

Does anyone know of someone who can fit headlings . My boat is in Portsmouth. I have stuck them back and used wooden lathes to keep me going but it
would be nice to start replacing them properly.

Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:24 pm

Nigel

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:27 pm

Have a word with Hawke House, I feel sure they know who is local and someone good.

On the WOA web site there is an advertiser who fits headlining.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

sealab2021
Anti Spam measure:Yes

Post by sealab2021 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:04 pm

So here's an idea I was thinking of. Get a marine/industrial paint color matched to the existing liner. I would paint both sides of the wood, no nonsense waterproof and durable. I was planning on painting everything that was coated with the vinyl material. The previous owner removed some of it and some areas are bare wood or this goofy grey van carpet material. Best part is a quick sanding with a sponge and the paint should cover nicely.

Has anyone done this? Seriously considering this option.

Considering 2 products

Sherwin Williams Seaguard 5000 (overkill) oil based
Sherwin Williams DTM marine/industrial water based
1984 westerly corsair