Head and side linings

wotan4
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Head and side linings

Post by wotan4 » Sat May 02, 2015 10:39 pm

I am a very new member, just a couple of days!!
I have a westerly renown and in the stern cabin, the side linings are just hanging, unsupported and the adhesive has turned to dust.
I would like reclad the areas concerned but not necessarily with the cream vinyl.
Have any members had this problem and what can I apply to the cabin sides or is it best to just scrape them down and paint them?
Mike

rogerball0
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Re: HEAD AND SIDE LININGS

Post by rogerball0 » Sun May 03, 2015 9:20 am

Welcome aboard Mike!

You'll find a plethora of information in these pages.

To remove the glue and whats left of it I went with Auto Glym tar remover although other solvents like acetone have been used with success but need to ventilate the cabin at all times, if funds allow I'd put back something other than just paint if nothing else to bring a little warmth to the cabin, personally I'm thinking of going with vertical battens then insulate in-between and a painted (removable) ply panel over the top. There so many options out there for panel finishes other than vinyl, you need only google something like 'interior linings' or 'van interior' and that'll give an idea of what's available.

Cheers

Roger

baggy1

Post by baggy1 » Sun May 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Been there T shirt etc...

I used a drill with a wire brush, it take's time and is safer than
using messy chemicals ( use a dust mask )

Give Hawke House a call and they will send you samples
of different materials, it may give you some ideas

http://www.hawkehouse.co.uk/

Good luck with the scrapping :wink:

BTW I used the double sided glued foam, it makes life so much easier to apply ready for the top layer of your choice

Nigel Birch
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by Nigel Birch » Sun May 03, 2015 6:21 pm

I've also been through it. I find the face off disks that you can get from Hawke house the best thing for removing old glue. Though they are quite aggressive so you need to go easy with them.....
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham

wotan4

Post by wotan4 » Sun May 03, 2015 6:38 pm

As a new member, I am amazed at your prompt replies guys.
Thanks for all the info thus far.
Apparently, some owners of older yachts apply carpet. Is there any drawbacks with this possibility which would probably be cost effective as remnants could be used.
I will google and see what else turns up.

thanks everybody
mike

rhumlady

Post by rhumlady » Sun May 03, 2015 9:04 pm

Painting the fibreglass is a sure recipe for condensation.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Sun May 03, 2015 10:35 pm

Welcome Mike

I would highly recommend Hawke House, as they were the original suppliers to Westerly. They hold the patterns to make kits that exactly to match the original ones.

Carpet in my opinion is not a good idea as it tends to retain moisture if it gets wet. If it gets wet with salt water, then it can retain the salt once dried. This then attracts moisture and can cause mould to start. How do I know? One of my previous boats was lined with carpet. The only type of carpet I would ever have in a boat is Flotex, as this is waterproof and very short pile.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Hot Ayre

Post by Hot Ayre » Tue May 05, 2015 4:15 pm

We're lining with the best quality underlay (used for under laminate flooring) - seems to be a sort of closed cell thing like a camping mat, then (sorry everyone else) grey carpet with a felt backing. Looked at Flotex (couldn't afford it) and van lining (too stiff). Contact adhesive which is repositionable for 5 minutes in theory but suspect it would tear the underlay apart. Cabin roof is, of course, ply on battens and we'll experiment with old charts, varnished. If it looks awful we'll carry on with the carpet.

Of course, the first job, which we're still doing in places, is reseating things wherever the water's getting through! Lots of lovely crevice corrosion or silly things like new stanchion brackets fitted with the old holes left open!! :evil: (Not under our ownership!).

aquaplane

Post by aquaplane » Tue May 05, 2015 7:52 pm

Our Centaur has a carpet lined forecabin. It's a bit dark and dingy but the mildew doesn't show up too much.

I had a Jaguar 25 with extensive light grey carpet lining, that was horrid, condensation off the windows ran down and stained the carpet. Every speckle of mildew stood out a mile.

I think that any lining has to be able to be wiped down with milton or dilute bleach so vinyl is the only thing I would use. I would avoid foam backed but would go foe closed cell foam as laminate floor underlay or camping mats, I think Hawkhouse may do something similar. Replacing with the original spec stuff will mean that the job needs doing again in 20 or 30 years :)
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Wed May 06, 2015 9:42 am

Never have any issue with my cheap as chips ( Carpet Right) ribbed carpet used for lining both quarter berths on my Centaur. Its not foamed backed but has what looks like Fibre glass (1) but is clearly some polypropylene type stuff, warm to the touch so very comfortable in a sleeping area and glued in very well with spray adhesive ( must ventilate when installing). Sides bonded direct to hull/engine box, ceiling on ply panel attached through deck to seating slats retainers, (thus providing an air barrier which I suppose prevents/minimises condensation).

This has been good for the last 5 years or so.

Fore cabin headlining is still hanging on by the skin of its teeth!!!

Sorry no piccies to support/explain.
Unc
Uncle Albert
CR1702

Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch » Wed May 06, 2015 7:35 pm

I really like the idea of Robbins Elite Cabin line for the saloon ceiling but it's flipping expensive. Has anyone tried putting a groove into plywood with a router?

N.
Nigel

rogerball0

Post by rogerball0 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:05 pm

Nigel.Birch wrote:I really like the idea of Robbins Elite Cabin line for the saloon ceiling but it's flipping expensive. Has anyone tried putting a groove into plywood with a router?

N.
Oh yes sir! 8)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1101828864 ... directlink

Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch » Thu May 14, 2015 3:22 pm

rogerball0 wrote:
Nigel.Birch wrote:I really like the idea of Robbins Elite Cabin line for the saloon ceiling but it's flipping expensive. Has anyone tried putting a groove into plywood with a router?

N.
Oh yes sir! 8)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1101828864 ... directlink
So you have! I think the grooves need to be a bit further apart for the ceiling though :wink:
Nigel

rogerball0

Re: Head and side linings

Post by rogerball0 » Thu May 14, 2015 8:43 pm

Just looked up what robbins elite cabin line is and got the wrong end of the stick although spacing the kerfs further apart would allow the ply to take the centaurs cabin roof easily, might have a play with that at some point as i wont be fitting vinyl.

Nigel Birch

Re: Head and side linings

Post by Nigel Birch » Fri May 15, 2015 1:30 pm

It get's used in the likes of the cornish shrimper and bay cruiser 23. Looks smart I think, although I suppose it's all down to the quality of the paint job....

http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives/cor ... ber-22.htm
Nigel