Electric bilge pump for Oceanranger

JohnBrand
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:Westerly
Electric bilge pump for Oceanranger

Post by JohnBrand » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:47 pm

I would like to fit an electric bilge pump. The strum box for the manual one is just forward of where the companionway ladder sits. It looks to me as if the best place for the electric one would be in the deepest part of the bilge under the table.

Any tips? Where's the best place for the through-hull? I may need to make a hole through one or more of the stringers. Any problem with that?

Thanks.
John Brand
Oceanranger 'Sula'

Jolly Roger

Re: Electric bilge pump for Oceanranger

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:53 pm

John

Try and avoid cutting into any of the keel rib, you will weaken it.

What I would suggest doing is to remove the manual strum box and use those holes for the electric pump hose. Then fit the manual strum box further aft, say under the engine, as you will only use that in an emergency, so it does not need to be a the lowest part of the bilge.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

mikebuggy

Post by mikebuggy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:08 am

I will have a look tomorrow and get back. My OR was coded and set up to meet RORC regs etc. The cockpit based manual pump must always be considered as the primary, because the cockpit is the emergency control position, and would be used when power is lost. The secondary pump is another manual pump, but has to be operable from below, again when all power is lost. Most ORs put the secondary manual in the 1st 'island' bit of the port saloon seating. The outlet for this goes overside high up in the port bookshelf just forward of the nav area bulkhead. The electric pump outlet is frequently placed on the outside of the cockpit coaming to starboard so the output runs out on and over the deck some way aft of the gas locker lid. My electric pump is a large Rule with an auto float switch. There is an Auto/On/Off panel fitted on the face of the Nav Seat. Can't quite remember where pump is, but I think its under the 1st main floor (ie the large galley/nav/entrance ladder floor). I think the strum boxes for both manual pumps are just forward of this. Just to confirm though, I will have a look tomorrow and get back.
I also have removed the electric pump from the fwd heads floor pan and replaced it with another manual whale pump which may also be used for other tasks as well as the heads floor...for example pumping out the 2nd anchor locker which is under the head of the port forepeak bunk.

rhumlady
AntiSpam Text:westerly

Post by rhumlady » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:01 am

One thing to remember about stringers is that this strength comes from the top and bottom, the hull being the bottom. The upstand is there to keep the spacing. And cuts in the top weakens the stringer. I will be drilling out the upstanding parts to do exactly what you are looking for. Do remember to seal the inside of the hole or you are going to rot the core which in itself isn't adding much to the strength in these areas. It is just a former to hold the glass in place while it cures.
Hugo duPlessis has a very good book, the fibreglass boat, which explains all this and much more from a guy who has been around since the dawn of fibreglass boats.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213

mikebuggy

Post by mikebuggy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:29 pm

Sorry. Was at the boat to day but forgot to look at pump position! Will look again during the week. BTW the big chunky mouldings that go ACROSS the bottom of the boat are 'floors'. Your floors should already have limber holes cut in them for drainage, but as rhumlady inferred, its not a good idea to make too many large holes in your floors.
Stringers are longitudinal stiffeners along the length of the inside of the hull.

Wolfgang
Anti Spam measure:Yes

Post by Wolfgang » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:36 am

JohnBrand wrote:It looks to me as if the best place for the electric one would be in the deepest part of the bilge under the table.
I think that all sections of the bilge, from under the saloon table to just forward of the engine compartment, are pretty much on the same level. And they are connected by laminated holes through the bulkheads. So it's not much difference where to place the bilge pump.
What I did was to mount sort of a double Y-fitting to the upper part of the bulkhead in the lazarette, just where the hose of the big manual bilgepump has its loop. To this double-Y three pump hoses are attached. 1 1/2" of the manual bilge pump, another 1 1/2" of a big electric "panic" bilge pump and a 3/4" hose of a small electric bilge pump.
yy.jpg
yy.jpg (204.75KiB)Viewed 2529 times
On the next picture you'll see the small opening to the bilge, just at the rear of the saloon table. You can see two valves for the port and starboard water tanks, the automatic bilge switch and the strainer for that pump. The large hose is connected to the panic pump, obscured from the floorboard.
bilge.jpg
bilge.jpg (243.63KiB)Viewed 2529 times

And since it would be a waste to use the small pump just for the main bilge, I've installed a distributor with 3 valves for the main bilge, the motor bilge and the drain of the fridge. By opening one of the three valves I can manually pump out either one of them. Normally the main bilge valve stays open for automatic operation.
Oh, and BTW, the small electric bige pump is mounted in the lazarette, behind the calorifier.
JohnBrand wrote:Where's the best place for the through-hull?
So you see, no additional through hull was needed.

Best regards,

Wolfgang
Last edited by Wolfgang on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfgang - s/v Adventure Galley, OR2

JohnBrand

Post by JohnBrand » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:50 am

Gents,

Just realised I never replied to your helpful advice, for which many thanks. Life got a bit complicated then, and I still haven't fitted the electric bilge pump - but I'm about to do so.

If I have any problems I'll let you know.

Best wishes.
John Brand
Oceanranger 'Sula'

FulmarOnia

Post by FulmarOnia » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:20 pm

Wolfgang, interesting post, I'm intending to do similiar on my Corsair.

I don't seem able to view your attachments. Is there some trick to this? I am logged in .

Regards
Andrew

philipstevens

Post by philipstevens » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:48 pm

Wolfgang needs to re-load the images. I've just done some of mine from a year ago. No idea why they need re-loading :?
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:08 am

Oh, the pictures are somewhere in cyberspace.
I dug around in the box where I keep my pictures and found them. :wink:
Wolfgang - s/v Adventure Galley, OR2

FulmarOnia

Post by FulmarOnia » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:18 am

That's very helpful indeed, I can see what you mean with the Double Y fitting in the locker. I will do something similiar.
Incidentally I have removed the drain from the coolbox as part of a project to insulate the box.

Regards

Andrew