Centaur Water Tank

mark@j
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Centaur Water Tank

Post by mark@j » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:31 pm

Does anyone know how to inspect the fresh water tank on a Westerly Centaur 1978. We have just bought the boat.

Uncle Albert
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Centaur Water Tank

Post by Uncle Albert » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:24 pm

This might sound facetious but it's not intended. :wink: Fill it with water (perhaps with food dye added) and see if any comes out.

The water tank in a Centaur is not extractable without carving up the boat and probably affecting vessel strength integrity. On mine, after giving it as much purification as felt necessary, I only use the water from it as washing up and personal ablutions. Mine languished 8 years untouched so who knows what microbe proliferation took place. I have two 5 gallon water carriers for drinking and tea making water.

Oh and mine leaks on one tack or another ( have not yet worked out which one). How do I know ....... coloured water in the bilge.

Unc
Uncle Albert
CR1702

mark@j

Post by mark@j » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:44 pm

thanks for that, just as I thought, just wanted to make sure it was.nt something I overlooked.

zambra
AntiSpam Text: fourfour

Post by zambra » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:11 pm

I also use mine only for washing up etc but have often wondered if it would be possible to put a flexible tank inside the existing 'built in' tank with an appropriate access hole cut. This would maintain the structural integrity of the boat but provide for a cleanable tank that could be replaced easily if necessary. What do you think? Worth the effort? It gets a bit irritating finding space for bottled water and I have read that it is a major work to actually remove the existing tank.

smudger
AntiSpam Text: antispam

Post by smudger » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:33 pm

rogerball0
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by rogerball0 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:52 pm

mark@j wrote:Does anyone know how to inspect the fresh water tank on a Westerly Centaur 1978. We have just bought the boat.
(Blue Peter mode enabled)

I do Mark, and its as simple as designing, building and then launching your very own missile..................at Russia - just think of the possibilities!

For this you'll need an air saw, some quite 'robust' language, brute force and an unwavering desire to get caked in 40 year old dust and crap but when all these elements coalesce you get this:

and this:

but you are left with this?!

See, nothing to it! Now all you've got to do is err......................well,...................... umm,............. rebuild the forecabin.....................

Yes, yes, you're right i.........i really didn't think this through.

Uncle Albert
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by Uncle Albert » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:34 pm

Many thanks for posting those pics Roger. Its nice to see what I am NOT going to do to remedy mine. :)

It leaks a bit (a couple of spongefuls) when beating hard to windward on (probably) one of the tacks, (nope dont know which tack). I try not to full more than half full to limit the amount which can come out. I only use that water for washing/cleaning and sink rinsing etc and most definitely not for drinking given its age and the potential for 'nasties' to incubate over the last 38 years. I even have a duplicate kettle for this non drinking water.

One thing for sure, when it is half to 3/4 full you can feel the additional weight.
What are you going to do with your void? Looks good for storage of many and various things.

Unc
Uncle Albert
CR1702

rogerball0
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by rogerball0 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:35 pm

Hey Unc

I'm gonna put a smaller water tank in there to supply the heads and additional capacity overall, i'm in the process of cutting the fibreglass base about to get the storage out of it, the front is massive but with the tinyest lid so will open that up. Also the plan is to permanantly fill in the infill and make the door a bi-fold so you can still get round to use the heads then top off with marine ply and new lockers lids like the settee.