Cleaning the heads.

Konsortium
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Juliette

Cleaning the heads.

Post by Konsortium » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:02 am

I want to clean the heads and bring it up like new but somebody suggested that i shouldn't use bleach or the usual cleaning products because that will damage the seals etc (chemically to aggressive). Is this true or are they being a little too over cautious. If it is true, what should i use, some sort of vinegar?

smudger
AntiSpam Text: antispam

Re: Cleaning the heads.

Post by smudger » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:30 am

Hi ,i flush white wine vinegar through at the end of the day to eliminate odours,and occasionally pop a drop of veg oil in to lubricate the seals :D

BarryandLinda

Post by BarryandLinda » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:11 am

We do the same as smudger....seems to work well (we use just ordinary white vinegar ). Watch out for calcification build up in the pipes ( which contributes to smelly heads ). Again, white vinegar will normally dissolve it. Friends of ours empty the oil in a frying pan down the heads when they have a fry up...seems to work also.

Hot Ayre
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by Hot Ayre » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:02 am

Would cheaper malt vinegar work? Sounds like a very interesting salad dressing going out into the sea :)

BarryandLinda

Post by BarryandLinda » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:43 am

Yes, we've used standard malt vinegar as well. It works, and you can buy big bottles very cheaply (white vinegar very, very cheap in France ). We prefer the white vinegar just to avoid any chance of a stain from the malt.