Cooker choice?

JSharp
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Cooker choice?

Post by JSharp » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:39 am

I am about to replace my Flavel Vanessa (at long last) in my Merlin. The choice seems to be down to the Spinflo Nelson or the Neptune 4500. According to the spec's the Neptune seems to have the edge on burner, grill and oven output but is this the case in practice? Any comments, suggestions on either or any others would be most welcome.

Jolly Roger

Re: Cooker choice?

Post by Jolly Roger » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:48 am

I have started looking at changing the Flavel cooker on my Fulmar, but not until next winter.

The big difference I found looking at them both at the Boat Show was the Spinflo Nelson comes with gimbals and pan clamps, but the Neptume 4500 has these as an expensive extra. Both measured to replace the existing cooker, so you could choose either. My choice would be the Spinflo Nelson due to its lower cost.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

BarryandLinda

Post by BarryandLinda » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:06 am

Hello,
we posed the same question in late autumn, and had the same recommendations. We bought the Nelson SpinFlo from Marine Megastore...they were (are?) significantly cheaper than elsewhere. The only issue was it was delivered without the gimbal accessories for which we are still waiting ( expected this week ). Spent a fair amount of time looking at both options and decided the SpinFlo was slightly better quality...but that was just us. I think they're both OK....

petrel

Post by petrel » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:16 am

Fitted a Nelson Spinflo 5 years ago. I'd strongly recommend: it gets up to temperature quickly and cooks a great Sunday roast!

JSharp

Post by JSharp » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:16 pm

I decided on a Spinflo Nelson in the end principally because the build quality appeared to be better.

Fitting it in my Merlin however was not without problems. The gimbal clamps are designed to be above any surround to the cooker. This was not possible due to the cooker housing moulding design and the height of the burners relative to the coachroof. To mount it lower I had to reduce the gimbal width by cutting approx. 3mm off each of the threads. To try and get the clamps to fit I cut and refixed the lever arms perpendicular to the threads. They were not terribly effective though and eventually resorted to fitting a slide bolt underneath.

I also had to alter the fittings to the gas cock such that the outlet was horizontal rather than vertical to allow the cooker to swing without fear of it abrading the flexible gas hose.

As usual with any job that is boat related what one thinks is going to be a simple job is anything but!

ConnorMcCabe
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: WESTERLY

Post by ConnorMcCabe » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:07 pm

Hello ! Does anybody have any cooker/oven suggestions for a Westerly Pageant 23ft ! Would love a little oven !

FulmarOnia

Post by FulmarOnia » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:26 pm

I agree with everyone the Spinflo is the best choice. However I will contribute a very important addition....... Retain the gimbals from your Vanessa, they can be unbolted from the cooker and re-painted. Then attach/bolt these to the Spinflo and then hang the spinflo off the gimball hangers you have already got attached to you boat from when the Vanessa hung there.

It works ! I did it myself on my Fulmar about 8 years ago ( now sold). I recall I may have had to cut a few mm's off the studs on the gimbals, but it was much easier and neater than fitting the Spinflo gimball hangers in place of the Vanessa ones.

Someone on the YBW forum sent me the instructions and photo's, so you could ask over there. I'm afraid that I don't have them anymore

Andrew

FulmarOnia

Post by FulmarOnia » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:47 pm

Hot Ayre

Post by Hot Ayre » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:03 pm

We've just bought a Dometic Starlight from GaelForce at a good price. Not fitted it yet as we have to take out the paraphenalia added by a previous owner who switched to Origo meths burner.

aquaplane
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by aquaplane » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:05 pm

Hot Ayre wrote:We've just bought a Dometic Starlight from GaelForce at a good price. Not fitted it yet as we have to take out the paraphenalia added by a previous owner who switched to Origo meths burner.
Are you going to gimbal it?
The Centaurs I have seen with 2 burners, grill and oven had to cut the galley moulding to get the cooker low enough.
That means modifying the sliding doors and all sorts of kerfuffle.
I did think about having a 2 burner and grill so I didn't have to do any joinery but then having a safe gas locker was the stumbling block, so I stuck with the origo.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

Hot Ayre

Post by Hot Ayre » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:17 pm

We're a Konsort and saw that someone else with one had fitted a starlight in place of a flavell so hope it's straightforward!

Hot Ayre

Post by Hot Ayre » Wed May 10, 2017 8:00 pm

It was straightforward. Skipper calculated best height/position to allow maximum swing and cut a small notch out of the trim in front of the lockers to accommodate the gas pipe. Seems like a good cooker, though so far we've only fired up the burners, grill and oven to check they work. Had to add fairly thick spacers for the gimbals, obviously, and will replace the softwood we used with some nice hardwood when we find some!