Installing a shower

balticbound
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Installing a shower

Post by balticbound » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:16 pm

I'd like to install a shower in my typically small heads. There is no hot water supply. Only hot water is from a gas heater in the galley. Also have the problem of how best to arrange the shower head, shower tray and cubicle or curtain. Can anyone offer any advice?

rhumlady
Anti Spam measure: No

Re: Installing a shower

Post by rhumlady » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:02 pm

What type of boat are we talking about?
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213

balticbound

Post by balticbound » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:38 am

A Westerly Storm. Built 1987

Jolly Roger
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by Jolly Roger » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:47 pm

My first advice would be to consider a circular shower curtain as this will keep water directly away from any woodwork.

Then I would consider the ventilation to dry the area out after use, if not then mould can start very quickly.

From my memory, a lot of showers drain into the bilge and an electric float switch is used to pump it away. Personally it would be better if you can retain the waste water in a small section of the bilge as it would be easiest to keep a smaller area clean and free of odours.

Your main problem will be connecting up the water supply. You may need to install a calorifier to your water system. This can store hot water from either your waste engine heat, an electric immersion or your water heater. You will also need to upgrade to a pressurised water system to be able to power a shower. The existing water heater may have to be changed as well. Your showers will have to be quite short unless you increase the tankage. This is a major amount of work, but will cost a fair bit in parts and possibly labour.

Having used showers on yachts in the past, I only use them as a last resort. Personally I much prefer to use onshore facilities as the water flow is higher and you can leave all the moisture off your yacht.

Roger
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

petrel

Post by petrel » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:08 pm

A nice place for a calorifier is under the aft cabin berth, attached to the piece of plywood that runs fore and aft, against the water tank.

But not sure that fitting a shower is worth the hassle. The wood trim in the heads is unlikely to take kindly to being wetted on a regular basis and the run-off can't be contained so will mean a permanently damp bilge.

aquaplane

Post by aquaplane » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:19 am

My parents have a shower on their Jeanneau Espace 1000. It's actually a tap on a hose with a spray nozle.

It runs off the normal pressurised water pump so it's not exactly a power shower but it does get you wet and rinses off the soap after lathering up.

The water is heated by a Coleman instant water heater in the galley area so about a kettle full of water comes through before the hot water.

The head has a seperate sump with a dedicated blige pump to empty it, it's the second manual bilge pump operated from below required for codeing.

So long as you put the loo roll in a locker before you start and wipe everything down well when you have finished it doesn't take long for the head compartment to dry out. I must admit it's more suited to Med use than West of Scotland use though, if you are already fighting damp showering won't help.

A kettle/bowl/flanel achieves similar results using much less water and gas.
Bob.
Centaur now sold. Boating from Tarbert.

themons
AntiSpam Text: Opposite Easterly

Post by themons » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:57 pm

On our Corsair, the shower run off is contained in a fiberglass basin underneath the teak grate. Rather than draining into the bilge, we have a fitting directly to a whale diaphram pump. The pump goes directly over the side. Since the pump is a diaphram type there is no problem running it dry.

You can either turn on the pump when taking a shower or wait until you are done and then pump it over board.

As another poster mentioned, you can use a shower curtain. We use a U shaped curtain around the head to help contain the water.

philipstevens
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by philipstevens » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:56 am

themons wrote:On our Corsair, the shower run off is contained in a fiberglass basin underneath the teak grate. Rather than draining into the bilge, we have a fitting directly to a whale diaphram pump. The pump goes directly over the side. Since the pump is a diaphram type there is no problem running it dry.

You can either turn on the pump when taking a shower or wait until you are done and then pump it over board.

As another poster mentioned, you can use a shower curtain. We use a U shaped curtain around the head to help contain the water.
Exactly the same on our Duo, with the exception of the teak grate. We use it often instead of walking to marina showers. Our calorifier is heated from either of three sources - engine, Eberspacher or (shore supply) immersion heater.

Also used to sluice out the heads to keep clean and odour free!

We can be extravagant with water, having 100gallons - another good point with the Duo 8)
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net