Heater for an Oceanranger

JohnBrand
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Heater for an Oceanranger

Post by JohnBrand »

Hi,
I want to fit (or have fitted) a heater to my Oceanranger this winter. Ideal location looks like the engine compartment, where there seems to be plenty of space and easy access to fuel supply.
My boat has large water tanks under both settees, so ducting for the main and forward cabins may need to go below the cabin sole - involving cutting 65mm holes through the lateral 'ribs'. Seems to me this might mean serious structural weakening. The exhaust will also need to go to the transom.
Has anyone solved similar problems?
And of course.... Eberspacher or Webasto?
Thanks,
John
John Brand
Oceanranger 'Sula'
mikebuggy

Re: Heater for an Oceanranger

Post by mikebuggy »

Fairly standard installation.
Eberspacher usually goes deep in the stbd cockpit locker low down by the foreward bulkhead where most boat have a sort of locker where the calorifier also is. The exhaust is usually above deck on the stbd cockpit coaming. Controls usually on the bulkhead above the galley sink. Outlets are usually: Forecabin low starboard, Saloon stbd settee front (there is room ahead of tank), Aft Cabin port/midships. Also where the hose passes through the largest hanging locker forward there is a rotatable opener on the hose to aid drying. Supply switch usually around or under navseat/table area.
Vegable

Post by Vegable »

John,
My layout is roughly the same as Mike's above (although I don't have it heating the wet locker........yet!). I have the water heating version of the Eber which is very similar in concept to a car heater. Hot water from the engine (heating unit) goes to a small radiator with a fan and blows hot air out through the vents. I have 2 blower units sited in the aft cabin and forward of the starboard side water tank. This one has 3 blower outputs, 1 immediately beside the blower (just fwd of the dining table), 2 behind the door in the forecabin, and 3 just below the pan cupboard by the galley. I'm finding that I could really do with another blower unit during the winter months and I'm thinking of siting it on the port side, just fwd of the port water tank in the square cupboard by the passageway.
Eber parts I believe are extortionate and I do know of people who have changed over from Eber to Webasto. I haven't been able to ask them why or how good the Web system is.
Below is a photo of my set up and it's all in the cockpit locker. The picture is orientated so that the top of the picture is Fwd, RHS is Stbd etc., etc
Eberspacer Details Compressed.jpg
Eberspacer Details Compressed.jpg (69.39 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
It's all changed now as I was given a new Eber last autumn and have re routed and tidied up things quite a bit since the photo was taken.
Mike.
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"
JohnBrand

Post by JohnBrand »

Just to report that I had an Eberspacher fitted, exactly as described by Mike, in November. Everything fitted in very neatly and although there's some loss of stowage space in a couple of lockers it's not too drastic. The boat has been ashore since, so I've no experience yet of using the heater while afloat - but it certainly made rewiring during the winter a whole lot more comfortable!

Thanks to Mikes for the advice.

Cheers,

John
John Brand
Oceanranger 'Sula'
mikebuggy

Post by mikebuggy »

...and thank you, for your 'thank you'! Happy and warm sailing!