Water under floor boards Centaur

mievan
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Water under floor boards Centaur

Post by mievan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:47 pm

I have just put my Centaur in the water only to discover there is water in the bilges. There is some water in the engine bilges but I believe it is sealed from the bilges in the cabin. There is no water leaking from the heads fittings,the depth transducer, the raw water cooling and the fresh water tank. There is no water beneath the quarter berth storage areas. So where on earth is the water coming from? Is not correct to believe the engine well is separate from the cabin bilges and if so where could the leak possibly come from. In the past 3 days I have removed half a washing bowl of water and that is after removing 2 washing bowls previously. We have not had very much rain in the area in the past week.

Cheers

hello sailor
Anti Spam measure: No

Re: Water under floor boards Centaur

Post by hello sailor » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:29 pm

If the water tank is full and made of stainless, could it be condensation? Used to happen in our Pageant.

mievan

Post by mievan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:06 pm

Thanks

I think there is too much water for it to be condensation. Would that mean the area under the cabin floorboards is also under the water storage? I am trying to work out which areas are separate and can not receive water from other areas.I guess I need a sectional drawing.

hello sailor

Post by hello sailor » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:10 pm

Apart from the engine compartment, the rest of the boat should be connected by limber holes through any bulkheads and strengtheners, so water should end up in the lowest part of the hull, or at least adjacent to the bilge pump strum box. However in reality the limber holes are usually lined with a plastic pipe, or are glassed in high, which leaves them sitting above the bottom of the hull, so water does not pass through until it clears the height of the pipe or moulding, trapping water in different compartments. In the Pageant with the water tank in the bow, this was adjacent to the heads and underneath the table. Underneath the table was 'blind' and I had to put a hole saw through the floor under the table support to gain access. I was amazed at how much condensation could develope from a full tank in cold overnight conditions, so much so that I thought the tank was leaking. This phenomena also applies to a full fuel tank.

If you had an already wet 'blind' bilge somewhere (I'm not aware of the layout on a Centaur), could the water have 'sloshed through' from here to other compartments when the boat was launched? Otherwise it's hunt the leak!

philipstevens
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by philipstevens » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:21 pm

Have you tasted the water to find out if it is fresh or salt water - so long as you have ascertained that it is not from the heads!!!

If fresh, is it from your fresh water tank - check the level of the tank?

If salt, is it from the stern gland or bilge keel bolts? Do you have an old type VDO log impeller? Could it be from the rudder tube?
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net

poachers lady

Post by poachers lady » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:21 am

I suffered similar anguish year before last. If you have an in-line water filter, Whale Aquasource type, it is recommended they be removed over winter. If not they are liable to freeze and crack, just like pipes at home. Mine did, but as the crack was on the underside it took ages to cotton on to what was going on!

Hope you are soon off sailing a dry boat.

Mike
Regards

Mike

Poachers Lady
Centaur

philipstevens

Post by philipstevens » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:23 am

poachers lady wrote:I suffered similar anguish year before last. If you have an in-line water filter, Whale Aquasource type, it is recommended they be removed over winter. If not they are liable to freeze and crack, just like pipes at home. Mine did, but as the crack was on the underside it took ages to cotton on to what was going on!

Hope you are soon off sailing a dry boat.

Mike
Mine did (x 2) two years ago. The main filter and the filter to the drinking water tap. Both split, and filled the boat with 40 gallons of water!!! That was at Falmouth. This year at Penzance, not so cold and empty tanks! Learned my lesson :oops:
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net

sakean99

Post by sakean99 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:56 pm

Any drips at the stern gland? Does it get worse when the engine runs?

Mop it out dry & dust a bit of talc around to find out where it is coming from.
Pentland "Sea Rush" out of Caernarfon, N Wales
Boaty junk to dispose of? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip/

novocastrian

Post by novocastrian » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:59 am

hello sailor wrote:Apart from the engine compartment, the rest of the boat should be connected by limber holes through any bulkheads and strengtheners
My Centaur does not have a separately sealed engine compartment. If water entered via the stern gland, it would find it's way under the cabin sole.

rhumlady

Post by rhumlady » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:21 pm

I have read of people putting a bung in the limber hole between the two sections of the bilges to keep them seperate.
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213

hello sailor

Post by hello sailor » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:32 pm

Was on a Centaur today and was very surprised that the engine and general bilges were not seperate, they were on my Pageant. I think I would bond in a bulkhead, can't be good having engine crud getting under the main cabin sole.

sakean99

Post by sakean99 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:41 pm

hello sailor wrote:Was on a Centaur today and was very surprised that the engine and general bilges were not seperate, they were on my Pageant. I think I would bond in a bulkhead, can't be good having engine crud getting under the main cabin sole.
That depends on how many pumps you have & where the strum boxes are. My one pump is in the skeg sump under the engine & all water entering the boat, from any source, will end up under the engine where I can pump it out. As most weeps in via the stern gland, that suits me, but even if the odd port light is left open, the water ends up in tha same place, as does drainage from the anchor chain. But I have never had enough water gather to get over the cabin sole anyway.
Pentland "Sea Rush" out of Caernarfon, N Wales
Boaty junk to dispose of? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip/

poachers lady

Post by poachers lady » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:56 pm

Further to my previous post about splitting water filters. Fitted filter this PM ready for season. Switched on pump to get water circulating, taps OK, filter OK. Unfortunately when taps turned off......pump didn't! Water spewing out from the pump casing! Maybe pressure switch defunct or seals knackered. Anyway at least I could see where the water was coming from....and where it was going. Ah well, one thing leads to another.
Regards

Mike

Poachers Lady
Centaur

hello sailor

Post by hello sailor » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:31 am

The Griffon engine bay is seperate, so apart from the skeg, all water etc runs to the front of the bay where it can be sponged out. Obviously if there was a major leak from aft then it would overcome the bulkhead. The strum box for the pump is in the centre of the main saloon, which is the 'lowest' part of the hull.

My point was that with this arrangement, contaminated water, oil, diesel and other crud doesn't get under the living area. Moreover water in the general bilges of GRP boats can cause osmosis from the inside.

mievan

Post by mievan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:55 pm

Thanks for all of your tips, I will be busy next week following your advice.