wind instruments

paulclarke12
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

wind instruments

Post by paulclarke12 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:09 am

Hi,
I have a seahawk. The autohelm wind display is faulty. It displays but does not read correctly the display is approx 10 - 20 degrees out according to windex. The instructions tell how to adjust but the small push switches below the display do not work. Took the cover off and the switches pushed but still do not work. Is this the end? Anyone know of replacements or repair or any other line of inquiry.
yours Paul.

Fulmar433
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Re: wind instruments

Post by Fulmar433 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:41 am

I'm afraid it does sound as though it is the end. Especially if the buttons are not working. There is an issue with the old ST50 wind instrument not holding its calibration. I found on my one I could recalibrate it and it would work fine until the power was switched off. Next time it would be about 30 degrees out again. There was quite a bit of discussion on the YBW Practical Boat Owner Forum about this. It seemed to be a common problem. The internal battery or memory seems to wear out. The good news is that if the mast head transducer is still working you can replace the instrument with a later ST60 or ST60+. I found one on eBay and has worked well since. All I had to do was cut the plug off the cable and crimp the small spade connectors on the cable. The colours matched the marking on the instrument.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

paulclarke12
Anti Spam measure: No

Post by paulclarke12 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi David Thanks very much for your reply.I will see if I can get a replacement.
yours Paul

UserError
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by UserError » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:03 pm

If it's a matter of the internal CMOS memory battery dying, these are usually replaceable, if you can solder and don't mind taking the thing apart. Cost under a fiver, probably £3 posted.
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton