Recommendations for GPSApps

BarryandLinda

Recommendations for GPSApps

Post by BarryandLinda » Sun May 27, 2018 9:24 pm

After years of excellent service our (backup) Magellan hand held GPS has died. Before we buy a new one we're wondering if there are any apps out there that would serve as well. We have a B&G Vulcan as our main plotter, plus all charts etc so for use occasionally only. What are other Westerly owners using with satisfaction ?.
Thanks

Willhc
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Recommendations for GPSApps

Post by Willhc » Sun May 27, 2018 9:41 pm

I’ve used the Navionics Boating app (on iPad) for a couple of coastal passages. I have not paid for a full subscription set of charts yet, but will do when I start going further afield.

If you only want lat and long, the compass app on iPhone has that covered.

Interested to know others experiences.

BrightStar

Post by BrightStar » Mon May 28, 2018 8:39 am

I use the Navionics on an IPad and it works excellently. I got a cheap iPad 2 from eBay (needs to be WiFi and GMS) for about £40 and put it in a waterproof bouncable rubber case and loaded the full Navionics app and Europe charts. I also have Imray tide planner and Windfinder Pro. I have a large external battery pack giving me 24 hours operation between charges.

At £40 if it gets broken or lost no big deal, but I have been using it now for the 3rd season, I also take it when I go cruising on other people's boats, when I often do the navigation.

I find this works really well, in fact for port entry and departure it is better than the chart plotter in some aspects, you can have it at the helm and instantly zoom in if needed, also charts can be updated daily.

This set up should link wirelessly to your B&G
Brightstar
Griffon
On the Orwell

Boomer

Post by Boomer » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:16 am

Further to the discussion, if you have an i-pad without an integral GPS it is sometimes possible to "tether" an I phone to it so as to make use of the Navionics charts. Alternatively, you can buy a GPS attachment such as "Bad elf" to give it GPS capability. Only snag is that it uses the same port as the charger so effective only as long as the battery lasts.

BrightStar

Post by BrightStar » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:19 pm

There isalso a standalone GPS that will link to an IPad wirelessly, I used it before I bought a second hand IPad2 with WiFi and Cellular which gives you the built in GPS module.
Brightstar
Griffon
On the Orwell