NASA Clipper Wind direction 180 deg out

BrightStar
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

NASA Clipper Wind direction 180 deg out

Post by BrightStar » Sat May 26, 2018 9:56 pm

My NASA Clipper Wind instrument is indicating a direction 180 deg out. The mast head unit is pointing in the correct direction but the display is out.

I had to cut the cable when I took the mast down, but have soldered the cores together colour to colour. I think it was alright until I went into Engineering mode to align it, but not sure.

Anyone any ideas?
Brightstar
Griffon
On the Orwell

FulmarOnia

Re: NASA Clipper Wind direction 180 deg out

Post by FulmarOnia » Thu May 31, 2018 3:23 pm

You will probably find that there is a "linearisation" or "calibration" process to follow. Look in the manual. At least that's what my Raymarine equivalent requires from time to time. It will involve something like pressing a special sequence of buttons then motoring around in ever decreasing circles. The instrument will then realise it has met it's match, the owner has read the manual, and will behave for the rest of the season.

BrightStar

Re: NASA Clipper Wind direction 180 deg out

Post by BrightStar » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:07 pm

After checking the wiring and calibration I took it out and frightened it into submission, sailing in tight circles in 22-28 knots of wind, first to port then stbd and then put her head to wind and re-calibrated and hey presto it calibrated correctly.

Odd
Brightstar
Griffon
On the Orwell