Navman S100 Speed Log transducer paddlewheel

Lesjours
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Navman S100 Speed Log transducer paddlewheel

Post by Lesjours » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone help me by pointing me in the direction of where I can source a replacement paddlewheel for my NAVMAN S100 Log? I don't want the whole transducer but if anyone has a used one for sale where the paddlewheel is in good condition, I'll consider it.

Mine has two broken blades and I am not getting a speed reading. The display is showing temp and total log (historical) distance but has not shown speed since I bought the boat last year. The wheel spins freely by flicking it by hand.

Using search engines has so far not narrowed down the actual part required or a supplier. The paddlewheel has 8 blades and they are of a square-edged type. See pic below which shows one of the broken blades:
20180331_164228.jpg
20180331_164228.jpg (976.75 KiB) Viewed 987 times
If anyone wants further info to be able to help, ask away! :)

Thanks in advance,
Michael Cosgrove
Lesjours
Fulmar FR111, Bilge Keel
GCYC

steve parry
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Pentland

Re: Navman S100 Speed Log transducer paddlewheel

Post by steve parry » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi,

The only place I know who stock Navman parts is JGTECHNO Ltd( JG Technologies of Weymouth), He bought up all Navman stock when they went bust a few years back, I found my paddle wheel there. He may have what you want but he does have limited stock. He does have new transducers in stock and does advertise on ebay. Google him an give him a ring, he is a helpful guy and may be able to point you in the right direction.

Regards

Steve Parry - WALKABOUT

Lesjours

Post by Lesjours » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply and advice. I've just rung him and he does not have any more left in stock. He gets calls daily apparently!

Fair winds,
Michael Cosgrove
Lesjours
Fulmar FR111, Bilge Keel
GCYC

Hillary

Post by Hillary » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:12 pm

OK..... Can someone send me a broken Paddle wheel and i will see if I can 3D Print a replacement!

Hillary
Moonshine, Centaur CR1149

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Does it need magnets inside, like mine does?
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Lesjours

Post by Lesjours » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:16 am

Thanks for the latest replies.

I posted my initial request on FB too and somebody said he had one of these paddlewheels available but needed time to get to it. I should hear from him within the next week. If he does, that will solve my issue.

I have bought a complete replacement NASA unit so only need the paddlewheel for the NAVMAN for one season/as long as it lasts as the new unit will be fitted on next lift out.

@ Hillary,

If you don't mind, I'd use that as a final resort? I have seen post/s online where 3D printing has been done successfully although I can't remember now if that was for the same make/model. It does seem like the perfect long term solution for small redundant plastic parts like paddlewheels and impellers and the like.

@ Tyro,

You are correct. I don't know how many it has. Somebody told me that they usually have just 1 magnet so, theoretically, another paddlewheel which physically fits should do the same job? I don't know how accurate that info is. The post I saw where somebody 3D printed a replacement paddlewheel mentioned buying magnet(s) from Amazon (I think) so he left a cavity for it/them.

Fair winds,
Michael Cosgrove
Lesjours
Fulmar FR111, Bilge Keel
GCYC

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:12 pm

The NASA impeller has magnets in two of the four blades. I've actually just bought one from Force 4 for the same price as on line and without postage costs (which would have been as much again!) . You even get a new spindle with it.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Lesjours

Post by Lesjours » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:21 pm

Thanks Steve,

I won't waste my time trying to find an alternative paddlewheel then!

Force - another good reason to use a current model: the availability of spare parts.

Fair winds.
Michael Cosgrove
Lesjours
Fulmar FR111, Bilge Keel
GCYC