Centaur engine instrument panel

UserError
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Centaur engine instrument panel

Post by UserError » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:21 am

When I finally came to try & start the engine, I was not sure what the knobs on the panel did. There is no sign of a make on it, front or back.
Particularly there are two switches. I'm guessing one does panel lights but the other? The manual just says "additional equipment". I haven't come across a covert missile launcher or ejector seat, so I have no idea what it does. It is wired in/connected up. All the cables are neatly labelled and the switches are labelled 'switch'. Helpful.
To help trace it, what kind of things may be controlled by it?
Finally, not electrical, but is the engine shut-off a tee handle in the stern locker?
Many thanks
Jonathan
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton

UserError

Re: Centaur engine instrument panel

Post by UserError » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:37 am

I couldn't get a photo, but it's somewhat like this other than the warning lights are under (or over) the round pull-out switches.
Attachments
833908_Volvo_Penta_Instrument_Panel_833908.jpg
833908_Volvo_Penta_Instrument_Panel_833908.jpg (190.3 KiB) Viewed 839 times
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton

TyroSailor
Anti Spam measure: No

Post by TyroSailor » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:42 pm

My old MD2b instrument 'panel' is exactly like that. In fact I have it in a bag somewhere if it's any use to you. (I wonder if the instruments are transferable to my new Vetus?).

The engine stop handle is indeed the one in the lazarette; towards the starboard side. There may also be a cold-start handle; mine was next to the bottom (moveable) companionway step on the starboard side. This should be pulled out before starting from cold and is reputed to go in by itself. No idea what it did - certainly not glow-plugs.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

UserError

Post by UserError » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:53 pm

Steve,
Can you remember what the switches do? I assume they're not vital to the engine, being diesel.

I interpreted the cold start device to be a small brass button (see pic) accessible by lifting the cockpit hatch. I haven't looked much at the engine from the inside yet.

I'll make sure the stop handle doesn't get buried then!

Cheers
IMG_20180119_144832242.jpg
Cold starter?
IMG_20180119_144832242.jpg (216.19 KiB) Viewed 779 times
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:58 pm

Hmmm.

Not much help, I'm afraid. No idea about the switches, or that spring-loaded brass knob at the back end of the engine. It's unlikely, I'd have thought, to be the cold start button, given its inaccessibility.

Do you have a manual? It's available on line.

It's worth cleaning all that lovely stuff out of the bilge so you can see how much - and what - gets added to it.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Jon

Post by Jon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:36 am

Having owned 2 Centaurs in the past, a 1973 and a later 1979 I can confirm that the item indicated by the pink arrow is indeed the cold start button (MD2B MD11C) and yes a pretty poor position!

I got used to finding it with just the front engine cover off. The switches/knobs on the engine control panel did nothing on either boat. Stopping is done via the t shaped lever either in the lazarette or on later boats was positioned by the panel itself. Always make sure the lever is firmly 'returned home' after the engine has stopped otherwise you'll have problems starting. If I remember correctly you could retrofit a similar t shape lever for the cold start as well.

Hope that helps

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:31 pm

This is a similar view of the back end of my old MD2b. You may just be able to see the corresponding bit, more or less dead centre. There's a brass lever attached whih used to be the other end of the handle in the saloon.
old eng aft.jpg
old eng aft.jpg (22.59 KiB) Viewed 736 times

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton