Sorting out my wiring

TyroSailor
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Sorting out my wiring

Post by TyroSailor » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:02 pm

The wiring on and around the batteries in my Centaur is a mess, as shown below.
DSCN4264_opt.jpg
DSCN4264_opt.jpg (100.82 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
It all works but there are no fuses at the batteries or main switches, no busbars (other than on the switch panels), a curious relay arrangement to ensure that the engine battery gets charged first and all sorts of other failings. The system downstream of this is OK, with two protected switch panels and adequate wiring through the boat.

Clearly, this needs sorting out. As I (a) have only basic knowledge of boat electrical systems (although with Nigel Calder's help it's improving) and (b) am reluctant to pay my engineer £300 to sort it out I want to do it myself. What book(s) have you found useful that would tell me how to do it?
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Hillary

Re: Sorting out my wiring

Post by Hillary » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:39 pm

I am sorting out my electrics at the moment. In my youth when I had hair and flared jeans I used to wire up Tornado Jets. As long as you are careful never to park Tyro at the end of a runway afterwards I should be able to help.
Moonshine, Centaur CR1149

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:44 pm

So you did! I'd forgotten about that. That's very kind of you - that's another beer I owe you. Or three. Have a look on Wednesday if you like.

I'd still like to understand it though!
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Hillary

Post by Hillary » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:52 pm

The best thing to do would be to trace it through and draw it up as a wiring diagram so that you can then look at re-wiring cleanly.

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:00 pm

Hmmm yes. I know where everything goes, but it's mostly a question of doing the early stages neatly and with proper over-current protection

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

UserError
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by UserError » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:58 pm

Ours is not as bad as that and as yours does, it pretty much works..for now, but needs redoing.

I've got Nigel Calder's monumental book but find it heavy going extracting the info that applies to our primitive needs. Any other reference material that you could recommend?

I was wondering whether I could install the new stuff largely in parallel with the old & switch to the new circuits as they become available?

Could I ask where you're planning on putting the distribution busbars etc? They are currently in the engine room, which might be good - or bad? Warm therefore drier vs vibration...

Hope you're making progress with yours.
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:00 am

I agree about the limited usefulness of the Book for our needs! The 12-Volt Bible comes highly recommended but I haven't got a copy - yet.

Don't know about running all the new stuff before removing the old - I suppose it depends whether you want to use the same cable runs.

All the 'background' wiring, if my ideas aren't to cockeyed, is going on a board in what is now the battery locker (the after one under the port settee), hinged so that it can be swung up (and possibly even partly out) to work on it but normally living close to the ship's side. Haven't done anything with it yet though -still very much at the 'I really ought to do something about that' stage.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Hillary

Post by Hillary » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:55 pm

On the subject of using the old cable runs - if your old wiring is marine grade tinned copper then you are lucky and probably fine. If like many the wiring is old automotive cable, then strip a bit of insulation from one end preferably the end closest to the weather. Half an inch or an inch will do. If the cable within is bright tin or bright copper then you are fine. If the cable is dull copper you are probably ok (but should think about replacing with marine grade tinned cable), but if its green with verdigris then you must replace the cable.

Hillary

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Most (all?) of mine is bright copper; some of the new stuff is tinned. And it all works (touches the table). At the moment.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton