New Clipper Duet Stopped working

Hillary
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:Westerly
New Clipper Duet Stopped working

Post by Hillary » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:35 pm

Hi All,

I replaced a Clipper Duet with a new one in April. I replaced the instrument, the Paddle and the Depth Transducer. all worked well and as expected until the last trip out in July when both the depth and Speed stopped working. Depth reads out and speed reads zero. I have checked the connections, cables and units all seems to be fine but while the display appears to be working normally its not displaying any results from the paddle wheel or the depth Transducer. Any ideas?

Thanks
Moonshine, Centaur CR1149

philipstevens
Anti Spam measure:Yes

Re: New Clipper Duet Stopped working

Post by philipstevens » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:13 am

Contact NASA direct by phone. They are very helpful. I have had good response from them in the past.
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net

Hillary

Post by Hillary » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi Phillip thanks for the advice, I contacted NASAMarine direct as you suggested and they were very helpful. The technical support folks suggested i try a factory reset but that did not work. They also suggested I rub my hand back and forth across the echo sounder unit and listen for clicking. I tried this but could hear no clicking sound and I only got a response when I was quite violent in hitting it rather than rubbing. So they suggested I sent the unit back. I went to the boat to remove the Speed log paddle and I thought "I will be quick, pull the unit out and get the spare cap on the thru-hull sharpish" well it sounded like a plan but the position of the though hull paddle housing makes getting the cap on very hard. I manage to cross thread it twice and the bilges were filling fast. So in the end I rammed the paddle wheel unit back and screwed it down to stop the leak.
Then to my astonishment I found the speed log is working again. That points to a fault with the echo sounder unit so I have ordered a new one in the hope that will solve the issue.

Hillary

Post by Hillary » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:14 pm

An update,

The new sender unit failed to cure the problem so I sent the instrument back to NASAMarine who mended it and sent it back in a week. Its now working fine.

Hillary

steve parry
AntiSpam Text:Pentland

Post by steve parry » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi Hillary,

I get this on my NAVMAN duel speed and depth, every time the problem has been the fouling of the paddle wheel. They are well known for this especially in high fouling areas, I tend to remove mine every 2 months or so to keep it working correctly by cleaning the paddle wheel with a tooth brush, being careful not to drop the spindle or paddle wheel down the bilge or sink plug hole.

As regards taking the paddle wheel out...You have to be quick!! After several years of doing it I have now got it weighed off to a T, but I still have my moments when things go wrong!!

Regards

Steve

Fulmar433

Post by Fulmar433 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:57 pm

If you paint the paddle wheel with water based antifoul it will stay clean a lot longer. This was advised on the fitting instructions when I fitted a new Raymarine log. After a search I found Echo antifoul. It comes in a very small pot for about £15. It seems expensive, but being water based it lasts for ages and can be thinned with a drop of water. I have used the same pot for 3 years now and there is still lots left. I launched at Easter and the log was still working when I last used the boat 2 weeks ago without any cleaning. Before using Echo, my old log would foul in about a month in the water.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

steve parry

Post by steve parry » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for that tip David, will google the anti foul and see if I can get it on the Isle of Wight.

Regards
Steve - WALKABOUT

steve parry

Post by steve parry » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Hi David,

Further to my last post. I have googled Echo Anti foul and found the stuff in question, the blurb states that: To be used for tranducers but doesn't mention anything about paddle wheels. You say that Raymarine suggested that you use this stuff on the paddle wheel when you fitted your new log? Or is it something you have tried and found it to work?

I am now wondering if anyone else on the Forum has used it on their paddle wheel with any success or you may have stumbled across something that no one has thought of.

I don't see why it shouldn't work as long as the magnets in each of the fins of the paddle wheel still work (with this stuff on) and still produces the necessary pulses to enable a display of speed. If it works on a transducer with no ill effect I can't see why it shouldn't on a paddle wheel.

Regards

Steve - WALKABOUT

Fulmar433

Post by Fulmar433 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:21 pm

Hi Steve,

Raymarine recommended using water based AF stating that it doesn't harm the plastic as could happen with solvent AF. I use an art paint brush that gets it into the awkward bits. You do have to be careful not to get any lumps or spikes on the side of the paddle wheel that can catch and always make sure it is spinning freely before fitting. You will probably have a bit of side play on the wheel. Check it spins freely both sides. The first time I used Echo, I launched the boat, went to my mooring with the log working. A few days later went out and no log. It turned out to be a small spike to one side of the paddle wheel. Once I found it and cleaned it up it worked fine. One concern I had when I first bought it was the instructions say only apply it in temperatures above 20 degrees, which doesn't occur normally in March when I want to apply it. My transducer is below the forecabin so I normally put an oil filled radiator in there for an hour or so to warm it up before painting. I guess the warm temperature is required to ensure it dries and sets before going in the water. Putting it back in the water too soon would probably dissolve the paint.
When the boat came out last November there was one small barnacle between two of the paddles.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

steve parry

Post by steve parry » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for that information David, I will remove my paddle wheel when the boat comes out of the water in December. I will more than likely take the paddle wheel home to do it.

Very useful tip and thanks for that ...learn something every day!

Regards

Steve - WALKABOUT