Chartplotter aeriel

Simonb
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:tregembo
Chartplotter aeriel

Post by Simonb » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:02 am

My Lorenz chartplotter (about 17 years old) is now failing to pick up any satellites. The chart display is fine, so I suspect it is the aeriel. Can I use any mushroom shaped NMEA 0183 as a replacement rather than buying a new plotter?

Fulmar433
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Re: Chartplotter aeriel

Post by Fulmar433 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:11 pm

Gps Aerials are not normally NMEA 0183. They are normally RF cable and connectors, which can vary considerably. A lot use active antennas where the GPS provides a small voltage to power an amplifier in the antenna to boost the signal. It is important to know what your plotter requires.

My boat had an old Phillips AP navigator when I bought it. I fitted a Garmin Plotter but kept the Phillips as a backup until it then failed to acquire satellites. I was convinced it was the aerial and tried one of the cheap antennas available on eBay, but never got it working.

GPS kit and plotters have come a long way in the last 17 years in accuracy and speed. It may well be time to start looking for a replacement. Many work without the need of an external aerial. I have a Garmin GPSMAP 550 that is about 10 years old, which I upgraded to a larger screen Garmin ECHOMAP 700 a couple of years ago. The old one is now mounted at the chart table mainly as a backup and works fine below decks on its internal aerial.

Edit: You didn't mention the model of your Plotter, but doing a Google search some Lorenz Plotters have a sepoerate GPS receiver, so in answer to your initial question, if yours uses a separate GPS receiver over NMEA 0183, you should be able to connect another GPS receiver via NMEA 0183, The mushroom units are normally just aerials/ antennas though.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

Simonb
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:tregembo

Re: Chartplotter aeriel

Post by Simonb » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:59 pm

Many thanks David. Most helpful.