Corsair/Oceanranger -location for fluxgate compass

FulmarOnia
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Corsair/Oceanranger -location for fluxgate compass

Post by FulmarOnia » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:36 pm

I will shortly fit a Fluxgate compass as part of a project to replace an ancient autopilot with a merely old one! I'm struggling a but to think where I can mount the fluxgate compass. The instructions are for it to be in teh aft 2/3 of the boat and close to the centre line. But with a water tank under under the aft berth, then working forward the engine you next come to the Saloon table. It could go there, but it's then a long cable run back to the computer which I was going to put under the aft bunk, which is where the current one is, obviously this would mean joining cables which isn't ideal.
I prefer these things to be out of site!
So Corsair/Oceanranger owners where did you fit your fluxgate ?
I suppose a related Q is where did you put the autopilot computer, again preferably out of site. The current one is port side under the aft bunk, on the bulkhead seperating the cabin from the under bunk area. However it is effectively upside down so as to provide access the cabling from the top. The Raymarine instructions make it clear that the computer must be installed with the cable entrance at the bottom - very awkward!

Regards Andrew

Irene R
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Corsair/Oceanranger -location for fluxgate compass

Post by Irene R » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:00 pm

I have a 1984 Corsair with an Autohelm 6000. The compass is sited at the forward edge of the saloon table about 300mm up from the cabin sole. Guidance in the manual suggests the optimum site is at the pitch and roll centre (which it suggests is in the middle of the vessel near the waterline), and away from large lumps of metal. It is away from the engine and not too close to the keel where it is.
The manual also suggests a test if there is doubt. This is to fix a hand bearing compass at the proposed location and compare readings whilst swing the vessel through 360 Deg. Not sure how practical that would be unless you have access to a graving dock.
Good luck

BarryandLinda

Post by BarryandLinda » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:33 pm

On our Corsair the fluxgate is fitted underneath the quarter berth just forward of the aft cabin door. Works perfectly.

Fulmar433
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by Fulmar433 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:00 pm

I can't help specifically for the Corsair/Oceanranger, but I fitted the fluxgate compass on the front end of my saloon table of my bilge keel Fulmar. It turned out to be too close to the keels and was all over the place. I ended up moving it to the hanging locker that is off centre, but roughly halfway lengthways and it now works fine.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

Wolfgang
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by Wolfgang » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:48 am

I have mounted the EV-1 below the berth in the aft cabin. In the forward center compartment. Though it's neither near both center lines, it's working just fine.
EV-1.jpg
EV-1.jpg (121.42 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
Wolfgang - s/v Adventure Galley, OR2

FulmarOnia

Post by FulmarOnia » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:14 am

Thanks everyone for their thoughts. It appears that the Fluxgate compass is more sensitive to large lumps of metal than being on the centrelines.

FulmarOnia

Post by FulmarOnia » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:52 pm

In case anyone follows these threads, or later searches for a solution to "their" problem, I finally fitted the Fluxgate underneath the forward hanging locker in the aft cabin. Plenty of space there, low down but dry, away from large lumps of metal and near the autopilot which it is wired into, but a long way from the mid point of the boat and certainly not on the centre line. It appears to work perfectly well there, and certainly wouldn't have been worthwhile extending and joining cables to get it on the centre line under the saloon table ( and therefore near the cast iron keel).
Andrew