Autopilot for Fulmar

Another Summer
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:Westerly
Autopilot for Fulmar

Post by Another Summer » Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 am

Currently we have an ST2000 however I find that it does not cope when the water gets rougher. I am wondering whether I have not got it properly set up or whether it is too small a unit to cope with the Fulmar. I would be interested in other Fulmar owners experience of this and whether we have to bite the bullet and go up a level to the E100 or ST4000.

Jolly Roger

Re: Autopilot for Fulmar

Post by Jolly Roger » Mon May 01, 2017 9:43 am

Welcome to the Westerly Owners Association Forum.

Many Fulmars were fitted with the Autohelm 2000, including mine, but they were designed for a displacement of 4 tons, but mine weighs 5½ tons. So they are underpowered in heavy weather, even though Fulmars are light on the helm.

To solve this problem, I fitted a Raymarine Evolution EV100 Tiller. It was an easy fix as I used the existing power cable and fitted the sensor control on the bulkhead at the forward end of the sail locker, the instrument head was fitted halfway along the starboard cockpit side and the ram used the existing support arm on the tiller. Sorry I do not have any photos, I forgot to do this and add them to my photo file (link in my signature).

No doubt you have read about the renovations to my Fulmar, if not then you may find it helpful.
https://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/woafo ... f=1&t=2748

Please let the forum know a little about your Fulmar, where you sail, experience, etc. If you can, join in any of the local WOA meets as we are a friendly brunch of people.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Another Summer

Post by Another Summer » Mon May 01, 2017 4:56 pm

Thank you Roger and that is useful to know, so it will be the EV100. We sail around the South coasts however a lot of our time with our boat was spent running Yacht and dinghy racing in the Solent area. We are trying to cut back on that now as it eats into our time away sailing.
Currently our fulmar is out of tHe water, antifouling tomorrow and possibly relaunching Wednesday and we hope to be away cruising by the end of the month.
I will have a read of your refurbishment posts, there certainly are plenty of them.
Thanks again for your reply.
Derm

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Mon May 01, 2017 11:37 pm

Derm

When I bought my EV100 I found at the time it was cheapest in Sweden. It was not easy to find out about cross border selling prices, but I used www.hjertmans.se as the saving was about £300 (even allowing for shipping to the UK). There is no problem with the guarantee as it is worldwide, so if there is a problem it can be solved in the UK.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Another Summer

Post by Another Summer » Tue May 02, 2017 9:43 am

Thanks again Roger, I shall check out that link and compare with my trade contacts in this area.
Derm

Fulmar433
Anti Spam measure:Yes

Post by Fulmar433 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:50 pm

Like Roger, my Fulmar had the Autohelm 2000 which couldn't cope with rougher conditions. I replaced mine with a Raymarine SPX 5, the model before the EV100. It is a great piece of kit coping with some pretty tough conditions. I have over pressed it a few times, but that has been due to pushing the boat too hard. I think the EV100 uses the same drive. I notice Roger mentions mounting the "sensor control" in the "sail locker". I assume he is talking about what Raymarine refer to as a course computer. Personally my cockpit locker gets used to store all sorts of "gear" and I wouldn't risk such an expensive bit of kit in there. I mounted mine in the locker where the batteries are fitted on the port side. Cabling is easy through the lockers. I did have problems finding a suitable place to mount the flux gate compass. I initially mounted it on the front end of the saloon table, but discover it was too low and affected by the bilge keels. I then discovered a friend had his mounted in the hanging locker opposite the heads, where it works fine. My control panel is mounted in the instrument pod over the companionway, but that isn't the ideal position when setting up. Ideally a remote would be good to enable hooking on to the tiller and activating the AP. Where mine is works well once going as it's near the chart plotter.
David Metcalfe
Fulmar 433 Jeddo
Lower Halstow, Kent

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu May 04, 2017 6:18 pm

Both the compass sensor unit and ACU plus distribution cable block were fixed in the sail locker on the forward end, high up. In this photo (http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... ort=3&o=60) the flat panel across the bulkhead is where these were mounted. Next time I go to the boat I will photograph these bits for reference.

The installation manual has a fairly simple diagram of the EV100 system on page 19.
http://www.raymarine.co.uk/view/index.c ... &col=10463

Hope this clarifies how my EV100 was fitted.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Another Summer

Post by Another Summer » Fri May 05, 2017 2:01 pm

Just to give an update, I did try the company you suggested and they were competitive however freight charges made them much the sam as here. Hudson Marine in Hamble are still doing Boat Show offers and have been extremely helpful. The fitting sounds complex but I guess in reality it only involves selecting suitable locations and cabling up.
I was tempted to mount the control unit over the companion way however it means a bit of a scramble letting go of the tiller to set the course. So it will be mounted close by to the helm.
The forward hanging locker is suggested as the best place for the thing which replaces the Fluxgate compass and wiring behind the headlining should be straight forward.
Looking forward to completing it all and setting off across channel to test it out in hopefully benign conditions.
Derm

DerekH

Post by DerekH » Mon May 15, 2017 7:55 pm

Just had an Evo 100 fitted to my Fulmar. Wonderful piece of kit, especially when interfaced with a Raymarine e75 mfd! Sensor has gone into the locker below the Port berth - behind the heads to get it as close to the centre of the boat as possible. The ACU is in the aft-most locker under the quarter berth - nothing else will go in there as it is normally inaccessible! The P70s control unit is by the drive unit on the port cockpit seat. My problem is that the former very old 2000 unit had a similar drive but the socket appears to have been allowing water into whatever is below the seating - ? plywood re-inforcing - and this is now soft and will not hold the new socket especially with the extra drive power of the new ram. I fear I may have to open the headlining in the quarter berth and fit new re-inforcing plywood. I wonder - before I open it up - will this be re-inforcing for the whole of the seat or just around the tiller arm socket?
Derek
Thalmia, Fulmar FR25 - The Exe

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Mon May 15, 2017 8:26 pm

I am surprised the hole has not been reinforced, so what you have is probably rotten balsa core. To solve this is fairly easy. Take an alum key (the longer the better) and put it in a drill and spin it in the hole between the fiberglass sections to remove some of the balsa. Check if the material is damp, if it is then it will need to be dried. You can try heat, but anti-freeze works well. Once dry fill the hole with epxoy with glass fibres added (seal the bottom of the hole if it passes through the sandwich). This will support drilling a new hole in the epoxy that will be take the loadings of the ram.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

DerekH

Post by DerekH » Tue May 16, 2017 9:28 am

Thanks Roger - going down to the boat now to investigate further as suggested!
Derek

DerekH

Post by DerekH » Tue May 16, 2017 4:08 pm

OK so I cleaned out some damp balsa, less than 15mm, back to something firm and will wait for it to dry out somewhat - not easy in the current weather! It is covered from the rain! I am starting a trip in 10 days so am wondering whether I could use a structural adhesive like 3M 5200FC to backfill the core and bond the socket as a solution if only til she is laid up in the winter? I will also bond some plywood below where the socket protrudes by 6mm or so below the lower layer of grp to provide more lateral support. When I opened up the headlining there was just a quantity of clear epoxy which was not adhering to the grp!
Might this be a possible work around?
Derek

Another Summer

Post by Another Summer » Wed May 17, 2017 6:19 pm

EV100 fitted and working.Tested it last weekend and it deal with 20 kts of wind with ease. Now looking forward to Lyme Bay and the ability not to have to helm all the way. ST2000 for sale if anyone is interested!

DerekH

Post by DerekH » Wed May 17, 2017 9:35 pm

I used mine sailing solo,for first time last weekend as well - interesting point though was the default setting was with the gybe preventer on! Great if you want to avoid accidental gybes but not if you're downwind solo. I had to switch it off in the settings to be able to gybe in wind vane mode. Sailing on broad reach at up to 8 knots with full sails in comfort. Much more controlled than the auto tack and gybe on the 2000 model! Now i just need to get the socket fitted properly so that can cope as well as the Evo 100! I'm going to go for the epoxy and glass fibre filling and re-drill the socket hole! Don't want to have to be cautious with the Evo 100 - it can cope with a lot - looking forward to using it solo with the cruising chute!
Derek