Digital yacht ais chart plotter will not switch on

Brian Carpenter
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Digital yacht ais chart plotter will not switch on

Post by Brian Carpenter »

Can any one help with this I have had a digital yacht ais combo chart plotter and now will not switch on, I have checked that there is power going to it but will not switch on.
Vegable
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Digital yacht ais chart plotter will not switch on

Post by Vegable »

If it's not switching on, ie it's completely dead then it's one of 3 things. But check there is nothing glowing inside first ie a light/led, a humming noise etc.
1 No power supply. There may be volts at the plug, but a duff connection won't give you enough power to work the unit. If you can give the supply a load right at the plug where it connects to the unit, like a car headlight bulb, then if it lights up then you can rule that out.
2. The on off switch is duff. Put the car headlight bulb either side of the.switch to see if it lights up in either place. If it it does........
3. There must be be an internal fuse which has blown. They are usually glass fuses and you should (if all is well) see a fine bit of wire inside the glass. Check with an ohm meter that there is continuity. If the fuse wire has totally dissappeared then you have a bad fault in the circuit and you need expert help. If some of the fuse wire is still there, ie a bit broken then you have had a transient fault and you might be lucky in replacing the fuse and it will work ok again
However if the unit isn't completely dead, then you need an expert to look at it.
If you're not sure what I'm talking about or how to do what I'm suggesting, get an expert in. You'll save yourself a lot of money!
You don't say what make and model your chart p!otter is which could help. Also were there any symptoms before it stopped working, pulsing, flickering, fading, hot gooey bits dripping out of it, etc., etc.
With a bit of after thought, there could be a 4th, so....
4. A bit of wire has dropped of somewhere between the supply socket and the switch and the circuit board. A good look and poke around will find this, but unless you've been kicking the unit around this is unlikely.
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"
Brian Carpenter
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by Brian Carpenter »

Thanks Mike

The chart plotter is a DIgital yacht 500 ais combo chart plotter

Brian
Vegable
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by Vegable »

Hi Brian,
Using Google I've found the full usermanual pdf download. The link is...
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... bELy2-gVvQ
On here it looks rather long but I'm using my android tablet at the moment. If you get lost I found it by googling "digital yacht sc500 user manual"
If you look at Section 8 it shows you how to do a systems check and that might help you. Personally I don't know the set-up so I can't offer any further advice but hope this starts you off in the right direction.
Mike
"There is nothing worse than running ashore, unless you are uncertain as to which continent that shore belongs"