Which Tablet for GPS?

JohnBeattieBrixham
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Which Tablet for GPS?

Post by JohnBeattieBrixham »

I would like to buy a Windows Tablet to use as a chartplotter and wondered if any member could advise me on which one would be best. At the moment I use an iPad with iNavX and a Motorola android tablet running Sea Clear. The reason I want to use Windows is I believe it will give me more flexibility regarding software. The iPad is excellent but I can't run AIS as an overlay, the Android has similar attributes and the charts load very slowly. My Windows laptop runs Sea Clear and I can overlay the Ais info which is excellent but the drain on the batteries is huge. After 2 seasons experimenting with different systems I am convinced that a tablet is the way to go as long as it has its own dedicated GPS chip and does not rely on mobile phone technology for its position. Any Suggestions!
Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure: No

Re: Which Tablet for GPS?

Post by Jolly Roger »

Visit My Harbour would be worth having a look at. http://www.visitmyharbour.com/

Sorry I cannot advise directly as I use a chart plotter.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
BrightStar

Post by BrightStar »

I have been using an IPad2 together with Navionics this year as a cockpit plotter and find it excellent as a back up plotter and it is easily / quickly zoomable

I bought the IPad on ebay for £50, a tough case for £40 and the Navionics for £50. So for about £140 a fully working plotter which also runs Windfinder Pro and Imray Tide. Not so good in direct sunlight but easily shaded to improve vision

It is a great pity that the Navionics, at present, will not allow an AIS overlay and is missing some of the useful features such as laylines that it could easily include - maybe coming?

So hoping for Navionics to continue upgrading their app and then I will need to find an economical way to get AIS data onto either Bluetooth or Wifi
Brightstar
Griffon
On the Orwell
JohnBeattieBrixham

Thanks Brightstar. It sounds like we have gone down exactly the same route. I also find my iPad 2 with the same setup excellent. The Motorola tablet running sea clear gives me Imray charts which I do use at times as they give more detail. I am told that a Samsung tablet running Windows may be the best solution but there are so many new tablets coming out its very confusing. I did briefly play with a Rasbery Pi but gave up as it felt like I was stepping back 30 yrs!
chris.moody
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by chris.moody »

Have a look at iSailor app for the iPad. Very similar to Navionics but I believe you can add AIS overlay.

--
Chris Moody
Chris Moody
Sophie II CR2226
http://sophieii.wordpress.com/
BillGr

Post by BillGr »

I use a Sony Xperia Z running the visitmyharbour.com charts in the Marine Navigator app. Although it's an Android tablet, and Marine Navigator is very basic even compared to Sea Clear, I like that the tablet is waterproof and the GPS is good (Samsung and Sony were offering the best GPS as far as tablets were concerned when I last looked - interesting article here: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... or-gps-use)

We also have Navionics on Dad's iPad, but that almost always remains in the cabin below because he doesn't have a waterproof case. I've tried Navionics on the Sony, but prefer the raster charts provided by the visitmyharbour mob to the vector charts used by Navionics.
Bill
Westerly Griffon "Calstar", Penarth
http://www.scapegoatsanon.blogspot.com
Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch »

I've been using the VisitMyHarbour charts with openCPN on my laptop and found them very good. At some point I will invest in something which is a little less power hungry maybe a windows Linx 10 or one of the micro pc that are around....
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham
boz1947

Post by boz1947 »

You will need to be careful with Windows Tablets, they almost certainly will not have GPS. This is not a problem if you have an external Bluetooth GPS Dongle, but as far as tablets are concerned throws you back to Android or iPad. But even iPads that are non-sim versions will not have GPS and can only use wifi for location services, not alot of use when out of range of WiFi masts

The best option, if you are prepared to spend the cash, is to use an NMEA wifi router that can be connected to the NMEA bus, this then can be used with virtually any device and a who;e prolethera of software becomes available linking through WiFi TCP/IP or UDP......

But for a simple system, a second hand iPad (with Sim socket) running Navionics or an Android device with Visit My Harbour is hard to beat
Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch »

But I would simply plug my NMEA USB cable into the Windows Linx tablet as I do with the my laptop. But I agree a wifi router is probably the best solution....
Nigel
BrightStar

Post by BrightStar »

What is the most economic way to get NMEA to WiFi on a boat, some of the "marine" solutions look expensive for what they are, as usual
Brightstar
Griffon
On the Orwell
boz1947

Post by boz1947 »

I'm not sure if there is an economic way, the tricky bit is converting the NMEA to USB but Nigel(Birch) seems to have solved that. I have invested in a digital yacht solution, which includes a long range internet Modem, but I can't pretend it is cheap....
Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch »

Yes got the cable from here:

http://www.allgadgets.co.uk/marine/pc/U ... S-p417.htm

works a treat....
Nigel
JohnBeattieBrixham

Thanks for all the replies above it helped to organise the best solution along with a phone call to the My Harbour office.
I have ordered a Linx 10 tablet running Windows. The GPS will be provided by the dongle I was using on the laptop and the AIS from the NASA engine already on the boat. The aim is to have both these inputs wireless to the tablet but it won't be too bad if one or both need to be hard wired through USB. The tablet runs on 5v at 2amps and holds a charge for 6 hours if not plugged in.
The Linx tablet will become the main GPS system on the boat and connect to the wireless network enabling other users to log on and view the software on any other device.
I spent a long time looking for a tablet with its own dedicated GPS chip as does my trusty iPad but the phonecall to My Harbour pointed out its probably better to buy a tablet without one and connect what you already have! Simple.
Cost of tablet £70 on EBay.
JohnBeattieBrixham

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (44.58 KiB) Viewed 7162 times
Modem not connected to Internet just set to work without connection.
TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor »

That's a very impressive saloon you have there :wink:
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton