Replacement for a Plastimo Contest 135 compass

BarryandLinda

Replacement for a Plastimo Contest 135 compass

Post by BarryandLinda » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:27 pm

The compass on our binnacle ( Corsair ) has developed a bubble, and I'm wondering whether to have it refilled or to replace it. Has anyone replaced the compass on their binnacle ( or had it repaired/refilled ), and if so what did you replace it with as Plastimo no longer sell a direct replacement apparently.
Any thoughts welcome.
Barry

Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Replacement for a Plastimo Contest 135 compass

Post by Jolly Roger » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:48 pm

First though is if there is a bubble, then you have a leak. Before refilling that will need to be fixed or a bubble will reappear in time.

This article discusses the different types of fluid that have been used in compasses.
http://www.trademarklondon.com/Compass-Fluid/

Have you tried Bainbridge Marine? They are the Plastimo UK agents, so suggest you contact them as they will be able to advise on which fluid was used.
http://www.bainbridgemarine.com/news/ba ... stribution
The web site does list they supply any, but the staff can be very helpful (personal experience over a problem).

When you come to refil the compass, it is recommended to use a syringe to do the final fill to avoid a bubble. Also useful if the compass and fluid are chilled in the fridge as this reduces the chance of a bubble.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

mikebuggy

Post by mikebuggy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:14 pm

Funny old thing. I had the same on my Oceanranger compass. I replaced it with a new one yesterday. I shopped around and eventually found one in a chandlers last year and bought it. Straightforward swop. The new ones have an LED light. Took the oportunity to lubricate the wheel bearings and chain as well! In slow time, I will also follow the advice on sorting the bubble in the original compass as its otherwise in good condition.

BarryandLinda

Post by BarryandLinda » Mon May 02, 2016 9:55 am

Thanks both for the responses. Trafalgar have found a guy in Southampton who is doing the refill professionally for me...I'll let you know how that goes. I was reluctant to buy a new one in case of fitting problems, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Did you have to swing the compass in order to get accurate readings??
regards
Barry

mikebuggy

Post by mikebuggy » Tue May 03, 2016 9:28 pm

Not yet been to sea since fitted as only now loading up after layup. I usually swing the compass every few years, and certainly after a major change.....however I'm less inclined to do it so often these days what with all this electronic charting stuff everywhere! I think what I may do is use the boat for a while and see how chartplotter, fluxgate etc all correlate. If there are no major errors I may just leave it. If there are obvious errors I'll do a rough and ready 'micro swing'* for now. *An assistant at the stern with a handbearing compass, lining this up with mast and forestay etc. Steer various steady courses. Shout NOW when steady on each new course. Assistant shouts out his bearing. Another assistant writes down both steering and hand compass bearings. Whole exercise could be repeated on autohelm and both its readings and the main compass could be recorded agains the hand compass. Work in progress I guess....results to be posted later!

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Tue May 03, 2016 10:04 pm

I'd be interested to hear the results of that exercise, Mike. I sort of know the theory and, with a new boat, I ought to try it out before I go out of the Solent. Or before.

Not sure I'd have room for all those assistants, though :wink:
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

BarryandLinda

Post by BarryandLinda » Fri May 13, 2016 4:35 pm

Just an update. We refitted our refurbished/refilled compass yesterday and did a rough and ready swing comparing the heading to the ( incredibly accurate magnetic ) fluxgate compass and found the old compass to be accurate within 1-3 degrees. Very happy with that, and it is much more responsive to changes in heading now also. We'll need to 'prove' its headings in the open sea but so far it's been a very positive thing to do.

FulmarOnia

Post by FulmarOnia » Fri May 20, 2016 12:21 am

I'm surprised you say that the Plastimo 135 isnt available any longer, I bought one from Force 4 Chandlery on the Hamble only two weeks ago and then spent 30 minutes fitting it to my Corsair which had similarly suffered from bubble. I also saw the same compass for sale in Fox's in Ipswich a few weeks ago.
Andrew