LED tricolour and anchor lights

TyroSailor
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

LED tricolour and anchor lights

Post by TyroSailor » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:22 am

Hi all (again - sorry to keep on, but I have a long list of jobs to do and very little experience...)

I want to replace the ancient (?original) and power-hungry anchor light on my Centaur masthead with a modern LED tricolour and anchor combined. I've only found two likely candidates: the NASA Supernova at £120 from Cactus
http://www.cactusnav.com/nasa-supernova ... 12936.html
and the Aqua Signal S34 from Marine Superstore at £185 (or from Force 4 at £221!)
http://www.marinesuperstore.com/lightin ... 12v-24v-bc

Does anyone have any experience of either of these, or any others that might be suitable?
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Uncle Albert

Re: LED tricolour and anchor lights

Post by Uncle Albert » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:43 pm

Dont spend that sort of money . :shock:

Spend far less on a replacement LED bulb from SEAROLF (for example there are others but that's where mine came from a couple of years ago).

Alternatively try an auto electrical supplier. As you may well know LEDs only work in one polarity so you might have to switch wires around depending how the bulb holder was initially wired up.

Spend your saved money on other stuff :D
Uncle Albert
CR1702

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:12 pm

Good ideas there, Unc., and no-one likes saving money more than I do, but sadly all I have up there (well - down there at the moment, on three pallets alomgside the boat) is the original and antiquated anchor light. Still, I'll have a look at those, as I also want to LEDise the other nav and cabin lights.
One of those two (I can't remember which, offhand) uses the fixed polarity to advantage, with just a single two-core flex used in opposite polarities for both lamps. Clever eh?
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:08 am

Those Searolf lamps look good, and a sensible price. Maybe I'll use them for the side & stern lights.

As far as the big one is concerned, the candidates seem to be:
  • NASA Super Nova Combi Tri Anchor LED
    Aqua Signal LED Tricolour Anchor HSG
    Lalizas/FOS LA-71311
    Mantagua 75 LED Tricolour with Anchor
Anyone have any experience of any of them? According to Ebay, it seems to be possible to buy a new NASA light for £49, compared with £129 elsewhwere.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:33 pm

What's wrong with this one?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NASA-SUPERNOV ... 336e2e6f23

Apart from the mounting, which looks less robust than it might...

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton