Konsort Navico DL200 Log: replacing paddlewheel

Paul Meins
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:Opposite Easterly
Konsort Navico DL200 Log: replacing paddlewheel

Post by Paul Meins » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:28 pm

I lost one vane from the paddlewheel three years ago but it still worked fine after adjusting the speed at the instrument. Now the rest have gone so I need to replace the whole paddlewheel assembly or probably the whole instrument. Obviously would like to avoid having another hole drilled into hull. Has anyone any experience of using the existing hole for a new log? Or even of fitting a new paddlewheel? The existing paddlewheel assembly can be removed from the hull internally but it appears to be permanently fixed to the cable. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:Westerly

Re: Konsort Navico DL200 Log: replacing paddlewheel

Post by Jolly Roger » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:09 am

Paul

You should be able to use the existing hole as most through hull fittings are of very similar size. Your best bet would be to measure the outside diameter of the existing fitting and checking that against the specification of the new one.

You may have some success in finding a replacement paddlewheel by looking on ebay or at boat jumbles. This would certainly work out to be a lot cheaper than a new instrument.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Paul Meins

Post by Paul Meins » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:42 pm

Just to say that I was able to fit a NASA Target 2 log using the existing (Navico) through hull fitting. This was not without difficulty. Mainly in sawing off the existing tube internally so it was about flush with the nut securing it to the hull. I used miniature circular saws in a portable drill, as there is no room to use a normal saw. I then filed down the outside of the fitting as much as seemed safe (it was too proud of the hull). I could then fit the NASA tube inside the existing, obviously with plenty of sealant, and it projected just enough internally to allow me to first use the supplied nut to tighten it through the hull, effectively on to the old nut, then fit the paddlewheel housing and tighten this. However, because of the thickness taken by the old fitting, the nut holding the NASA paddlewheel housing cannot be screwed right down. About a turn light. Nevertheless the fitting is dry and works fine. I used the existing wiring to connect the new unit to the NASA panel gauge.

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:04 pm

If I understood that right :?: you've done a most dangerous job. First you filed down the outside of the old through hull, what has weakened it considerably. Then you mounted the new through hull (I guess by sticking it in from the outside), but you couldn't tighten the new nut sufficiently.
So hopefully it never gets undone or breaks when you are not aboard. :!: And even if you are aboard, good luck to seal the hole then. :!:

I would file and cut the old through hull off and remove it completely. Then mount a new one on the old place.
Wolfgang - s/v Adventure Galley, OR2

Paul Meins

Post by Paul Meins » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:28 pm

The new tube had a flange on the outside which fitted over the old (filed down) tube and this was tightened by the nut on the inside. This is secure as it is effectively fixed in to the hull itself.

The paddlewheel housing is then put in place from the inside and screwed down. I used an additional rubber ring to achieve a good seal. It does need inspection from time to time, like most retractable paddlewheels, but has not needed any adjustment.

I did consider trying to remove the old through hull fitting but, even if I managed that, the resulting hole would be the wrong diameter for my new log.

philipstevens

Post by philipstevens » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:11 pm

If it is of any assurance, I did exactly the same on a Colvic Sailer 26 I owned over 30 years ago. The only difference was that I removed the inside nut as well.

The outside flange covered the old through-hull and it was well Sika'd in. Never a leak or worry.

Sadly, a subsequent owner wrote the boat off by putting it on rocks!!
regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net