Yearly breakdown of alternator field diodes

GVersluis
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Post by GVersluis »

About every year the field diodes of my alternator (placed on a MD2030 in a Westerly Oceanranger) break down. I have replaced all wiring and checked, double checked and triple checked on loose connections. If the possibility a loose connections is discarded what could be another sources that could cause this almost yearly breakdown. Any thoughts?

Thanks Gerard
Ginger OR65
Gerard Versluis
OR65 "Ginger"
GVersluis

Post by GVersluis »

About every year the field diodes of my alternator (placed on a MD2030 in a Westerly Oceanranger) break down. I have replaced all wiring and checked, double checked and triple checked on loose connections. If the possibility a loose connections is discarded what could be another sources that could cause this almost yearly breakdown. Any thoughts?

Thanks

GerardV
Gerard Versluis
OR65 "Ginger"
rhumlady
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Yearly breakdown of alternator field diodes

Post by rhumlady »

Gerard, could you have problems with condensation causing tracking?
Derek
Konsort 'Rhumlady' KT213
smudger
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: antispam

Post by smudger »

The diode pack is where the end of the cables from the stator solder onto the diodes, its important that the solder used is of good quality and of high
temperature , also the diodes themselves can be of poor quality, they can fail, the bottom line with any alternator is that the manufactures knows 2 things,
they know the maximum amperage the alternator can produce and they know that the ambient temperature under a car bonnet ( in a car in the desert ) can
easily reach 150 deg C , so with these 2 facts they should ensure that the diodes used can deal with these 2 events, if the diodes are failing then why??
either the solder has melted on the connections or the diodes were badly specked for the alternator, there is no other real reason for this. The fan at the front
of the alternator sucks air through the alternator from the back to the front ensuring the diode pack stays the coolest . so a diode failure over a long peroid of
time is one thing but failing on a regular basis is another.
Hi,any of the above make any sense to you!
GVersluis

Post by GVersluis »

Thanks all,

The auto-electric shop who repaired it said it was caused by a faulty regulator.They have repaired it for free as service. So I hope the problems will be over now.

Gerard
Gerard Versluis
OR65 "Ginger"