Volvo MD2B Starter Motor - advice needed

Robc
Anti Spam measure:No
AntiSpam Text:Westerly
Volvo MD2B Starter Motor - advice needed

Post by Robc » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 pm

I was on the boat yesterday and the engine started OK. I ran it for a few minutes then turned it off for a while. When I came to start it again I could only get the engine to turn with the decompression levers up. This has happened on and off before but I have new batteries now so was a bit puzzled. Then I noticed smoke coming from the starter motor so I stopped trying to start it and turned everything off! The starter motor was too hot to touch at this stage. I have looked on the Internet and am not altogether clear about things. As the starter motor uses two belts to start the engine and I have an alternator, do I have a modified dynastart system? The starter motor is painted a different colour to the rest of the engine so this might be a clue.
What do I do next? I know that I have to take the motor off and bring it ashore but is there anything that I can do to it myself? Is it possible to buy a replacement or is the only alternative to take it to an auto electricians for repair?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Bob

Uncle Albert

Re: Volvo MD2B Starter Motor - advice needed

Post by Uncle Albert » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:22 pm

Try a Auto electrician who can check its status
Uncle Albert
CR1702

bert
AntiSpam Text:westerly

Post by bert » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:25 am

check connections
Bert Gear
Fulmar Rubicon
Ilfracombe

smudger
AntiSpam Text:antispam

Post by smudger » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:39 am

Hi,as bert says check the connections,especially the battery connection to the solenoid .could be the brushes have worn out :?

Robc

Post by Robc » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:13 pm

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Here's an update. I took the motor off yesterday and there were signs of scorching on the back. I took it to Danbury Auto Electricians near Chelmsford this morning and the guy took one look at it and said, "It's a dynastart, I've got another one on the bench over there." It seemed he knew what he was talking about and he is going to take it apart and look inside and let me know what needs doing.

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:41 pm

If you need a new one then try Chelmsford Auto Electrical (located on Witham industrial estate) might be able to do you a deal on a replacement. Owner is my son in law, so there is a vested interest (oh and he supplies Danbury Auto Electricals with parts.

Probably broken many forum rules now..........sorry.
Uncle Albert
CR1702