SCAMMERS?

Moderators: dj7613, JayT

Bertgear
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

SCAMMERS?

Post by Bertgear »

Just to warn people, I have my Fulmar for sale on Westerly owners site, and received this request, I would think it was a scam, so be careful

FROM MITCHELL WILLIAMS

Thanks for your prompt response and i must tell you that , i really appreciate the Boat and willing to Pay the acting price.....i would have love to come and view it in person, but presently as am speaking to you right now, am currently on an official board assignment on sea at the moment....am purchasing the Boat for my family, which i dont want them to know anything about it, till it has been delivered to them and i would want you to reassure me that, it's has describe on the website.

I would like to ask some few question before we move further...

1) Are you the real owner and for how long have you owned it
2) Does it need any repair
3) Do you accept a cheque as a mode of payment, which would be issued out to you by my associate in London?
4) Are you willing to allow a shipping company to come and pickup after you receive and cleared the payment.

Hope to read from you as soon as possible.

Mitchell

My RESPONSE
Yes boat is still for sale, do you want to come and look?

On 28 Feb 2017, at 13:31, Mitchell Williams <mitchiwilliams76@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Seller,

Am interested in immediate purchase of your listed ads for sale on www.westerly-owners.co.uk and i would love to know the current working condition and also the actual price you are willing to sell it out.......I would also appreciate some more pics from you if available.

Mitchell Williams.
Bert Gear
Fulmar FR 281 'Rubicon'
ilfracombe
Jolly Roger

Re: SCAMMERS?

Post by Jolly Roger »

Hello Bert

I am sorry you are swallowing the anchor, and need to sell your Fulmar.

The email does seem strange and his reply is odd in addressing it as Dear Seller when your name is on the advert. All you can do is wait and see if he ever turns up. Then make sure you have a friend with you as a precaution.

Selling boats is never easy, so I wish you the best of luck.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
Hillary

Post by Hillary »

I have been on the internet since around 1984 before the world wide web was around and I have seen almost every scam going. This is a scam! The idea is that they get the goods before you find the method of payment is worthless. If a cheque bounces, or a credit card bounces, the bank have UP to SIX MONTHS to get the money back from you. They simply take it right back out of your account when they discover the fraud. So the Criminals rely on you releasing the goods before the Bank discovers its a fraud. ALWAYS insist on a form of payment that is non-reversible. Hard cash is a good one. Otherwise ask your bank for advice.
Another scam is where they make the cheque out for more than the value of the goods and ask you to wire the difference to them. The cheque bounces and you never see them or your money and goods again.
In addition the Police are generally somewhere between useless and hopeless in these cases as is the government fraud centre or whatever its called.
Moonshine, Centaur CR1149
steve parry
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Pentland

Post by steve parry »

Hi Bert,

I got scammed via this site for an autohelm two years ago which I foolishly paid up front!! (although only £100 but any money to those type of people gets my goat up!!!). The add appeared on here first but it then went onto the worldwide web and that's where the scammer saw it and contacted me and the rest is history. I contacted the police/fraud squad and they were not interested as only £100 (But it still theft even it's a penny!) They were next to useless!!

If the guy does turn up, insist on a bankers draft and wait until it clears totally ( ie money in your bank account) then and only then, allow him to have the goods.

People like these need stringing up by the B---S!, (sorry about that but they do get my goat up!!). These people are VERY clever.

Regards

Steve Parry
TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor »

I had a similar thing last year when I was trying (unsuccessfully) to sell my old engine. We agreed a price; he sent a cheque for about £4000 more direct to my bank and then asked for the difference back, blaming his accountant! I was onto him before this but was stringing him along for fun - and to see if we could catch him - I reported it all to my bank straight away.

If anyone's interested I have all the details.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton
philipstevens
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Post by philipstevens »

regards,
Philip.
Moderator and Admin.

Previous owner of Konsort Duo, Oyster, KD22

Join the WOA - only £15 per year (UK) http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk/ab_join.php

http://www.marketmechina.com/ & http://www.celticwebdesign.net
SeaFox

Post by SeaFox »

Bertgear wrote:Just to warn people, I have my Fulmar for sale on Westerly owners site, and received this request, I would think it was a scam, so be careful

FROM MITCHELL WILLIAMS

Thanks for your prompt response and i must tell you that , i really appreciate the Boat and willing to Pay the acting price.....i would have love to come and view it in person, but presently as am speaking to you right now, am currently on an official board assignment on sea at the moment....am purchasing the Boat for my family, which i dont want them to know anything about it, till it has been delivered to them and i would want you to reassure me that, it's has describe on the website.

I would like to ask some few question before we move further...

1) Are you the real owner and for how long have you owned it
2) Does it need any repair
3) Do you accept a cheque as a mode of payment, which would be issued out to you by my associate in London?
4) Are you willing to allow a shipping company to come and pickup after you receive and cleared the payment.

Mitchell

My RESPONSE
Yes boat is still for sale, do you want to come and look?

On 28 Feb 2017, at 13:31, Mitchell Williams <mitchiwilliams76@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Seller,

Am interested in immediate purchase of your listed ads for sale on http://www.westerly-owners.co.uk and i would love to know the current working condition and also the actual price you are willing to sell it out.......I would also appreciate some more pics from you if available.

Mitchell Williams.
At least I don't think it was a personal target! I got the same email for my Westerly W21 sale.

As mentioned before 'Dear Seller' is a big givaway ;)

Paul
Nigel Birch

Post by Nigel Birch »

This is the problem with having an email address in the body of the advert. It's quite easy for this to get harvested.....
Nigel
Konsort "Willow" K200 Topsham
CorporalJ

Post by CorporalJ »

A scam, I had one when I was selling my Centaur. I'm not sure where it was going as I aborted early in the email dialogue.