gosport - st vaast or similar

bill_in_london
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: westerly

gosport - st vaast or similar

Post by bill_in_london »

Hello All

We were planning a trip this bank holiday but are likely to cancel due to the forecast rain and headwinds later in the day on Saturday. Am I being too cautious? Boat is in tip top condition with all safety gear, radar, AIS liferaft etc. Three crew planned, one on first trip, one inexperienced and one very experienced. The weather was the clincher as a wet channel crossing could be rather miserable. Also headwinds around Pte de Barfleur might kick up some nasty seas with wind against tide.

Any thoughts welcome, thinking of replanning for the next bank holiday.

Cheers

Bill
Jolly Roger
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: gosport - st vaast or similar

Post by Jolly Roger »

Bill

The thought of sailing with two inexperienced crew for such a long distance would worry me. If you are confident to sail singlehanded then it would be possible in good weather. However the forecast is not looking great, mainly cold rather than windy. I can remember sailing from the Medway to Brighton early in April some years ago with a crew of 4 - but 2 had never sailed before. It was an easterly 6 to 7 and within a few hours of starting, the 2 inexperienced crew had sucumbed to mal de mer. I would never do a long trip with inexperienced crew ever again for such a distance. We could have just easily sailed with just 2 and had less worries.

My advice would be to get them to enjoy the joys of Solent sailing and experience of your boat before venturing further. You could always try going past the Needles to let them see what open water sailing is like. You will still have a great time and then you could try going to St Vaast later in the season.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/
steve parry
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Pentland

Post by steve parry »

Hi Bill,

I fully agree with Jolly Roger, it may seem a short distance but that can become LONG,WET and ROUGH!! My old sailing instructor back in 1970 gave me one bit of advice that I have stood by for the last 45 years. IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT WHATSOEVER DON'T DO IT OR GO!!! (makes sense to me)

Regards

Steve Parry
bill_in_london
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by bill_in_london »

Yes, I am glad we didn't go in the end and wise words, many thanks. Sometimes, I am not too keen on the sheer hustle and bustle of the Solent though, it can seem a long way from the idea of sailing as a relaxing and tranquil pastime.