Looking for Assisted Delivery captain for North Sea crossing

patrick
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Looking for Assisted Delivery captain for North Sea crossing

Post by patrick »

I'm considering purchasing a boat from Scotland, and would need a qualified and experienced captain for an assisted delivery from Edinburgh to the southwest coast of Sweden, to the entrance into the Gota canal system.

The trip is a straight line across the center of the North Sea of almost exactly 500 nm.

The boat is a Westerly Chieftain (26' center cockpit sloop). According to the broker it is in sail away condition, but a complete survey will be conducted prior to purchase and transport.

Interested captains, please contact me by PM.

Cheers,

Patrick
If a man speaks at sea where there is no woman to hear, is he still wrong?
-
Cruising the Baltic in 'Merihiisi', a 1979 Westerly Berwick Ketch
dckymartin

Re: Looking for Assisted Delivery captain for North Sea cros

Post by dckymartin »

Hi Patrick,

I owned a Chieftain for nearly 10 years and enjoyed every sail. The wheel steering takes a bit of getting used to as it is at the rear of the cockpit which means you are in front of it.

That is some first voyage!! It will probably take over 4/5 days so you will need a decent crew and a good weather window.

I replaced my Chieftain with a Pentland which I bought in Turkey and sailed back to the UK in 2008.

Good luck

Richard
sakean99

Post by sakean99 »

I think I would be inclined to make at least one, 1 day hop before setting out on a trip like that. 250 miles out in the middle of the North Sea is a long way away from any external assistance if anything fails. A surveyor can easily miss things, the boat is unlikely to have been used for many long passages before & is fairly elderly. Many of the potential failure points will have no prior indication of weakness.

Your boat & your life - but I have been described as a risk taker, & that is a risk too far for my liking.
Pentland "Sea Rush" out of Caernarfon, N Wales
Boaty junk to dispose of? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip/
patrick

Post by patrick »

There is some solid wisdom in what you say about a shakedown cruise. I had forgotten to mention that I planned to first sail the boat around the top of Scotland from the west coast to the east coast, as a solid shakedown cruise, and address any issues that cropped up during that initial trip before heading out into the North Sea. And if I go that route, I am planning on a crew of 4 (myself, an experienced captain, and two others).
If a man speaks at sea where there is no woman to hear, is he still wrong?
-
Cruising the Baltic in 'Merihiisi', a 1979 Westerly Berwick Ketch