Centaur Water Tank - access/replacement

davidjibb
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Centaur Water Tank - access/replacement

Post by davidjibb » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:03 pm

I have a seepage of water in the centre line bilge from somewhere forward of the main cabin ( just aft of cabin door line). Keel bolts are dry on both sides.

My question is what do people know about Centaur Water tank? Do they have a recent record of leaking? Has any one replaced one? If so what with and how did you get access. How did you make good the hole in the forward berth?

If the water is not seeping from the water tank what could be the source? All seacocks and transducer through hulls have been visually checked and are dry. Water tank inlet and outlet pipes have also been checked visually and are sound. Tank appears to hold pressure (suck and blow tests). Chain locker is dry.

Regards and thanks for any help,

David

Uncle Albert

Re: Centaur Water Tank - access/replacement

Post by Uncle Albert » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:23 pm

Just been browsing the site trying to find details on Centaur water tank. As after a bit of a rough passage I seem to have acquired water in the bilge which is definitely not salty and my water supply has disappeared far quicker than anticipated. Did you have any progress on resolving the access to the tank. My initial assessment is that it seems to have been built into the boat at time of construction. I do have a large screwed down hatch under the Port forward berth but I know this is for access to the holding tank. The only other cover up the front is for access to the chain locker.
Uncle Albert
CR1702

martyn
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by martyn » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:15 pm

hi both
did you find out how to access the water tank cos i have a leek when i try to fill water tank my bilges fill with fresh water
dont want to go cutting a hole through to the tank without checking that i am not going to compromise the strength
and integrity of the bulk head.
cheers
martyn

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Martyn my resolution was to ensure that I put the caps on the fresh water carrier I use for drinking water. The water ingress I had was from spillages when significantly heeled. No repeat has since occurred.

However my extensive investigation do suggest major surgery if it is found that the fill and exit pipeworks are properly connected. It would seem that the tank was built in and the inner forward cabin moulding was incorporated into the build process.

Steve (AKA Uncle Albert)
CR 1702 Aries of Lincoln
Uncle Albert
CR1702

kittiwake2144

Post by kittiwake2144 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:19 pm

The Water tank is in the fore peak put in before the interior grp fittings, a cutt the grp job sorry , or a bag in a forward locker and forget the old tank

familycruisers

Post by familycruisers » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:22 am

I'm getting ready to cut mine out, install the access, and redo with a bladder. I'll take pics this next month or so.

tlodder

Post by tlodder » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:48 am

I await your pics with interest as this is what I want to do with my Centaur but is down the list of priorities at the moment. :| :|