Centaur bilge plan

Indian summer
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Centaur bilge plan

Post by Indian summer » Tue May 29, 2018 9:44 am

Really grateful for some help tracing a leak which has been driving me mad.

My Centaur is a B Layout which is currently suffering from a leak from somewhere but I can’t find out where. I almost lost her the other day as there was 5in of water inside main cabin Heads were 3in under water, fwd cabin same level (just below the level of the door opening). Engine sat in water up to the gearbox.

Fault finding so far.

Definitely seawater and there has been no rain since my last visit - 3 weeks ago

2in Water in the fwd stbd keel bolt area - dried these out and a very minor weep showing. Nothing which would cause the levels.
1in water in port fwd keelbolt area near the fridge area (where most through hull fittings are). Dried these out but no seepage spotted over 30mins
4in water in the ‘fridge box’ area. This was the main suspect area. Dried out the area and watched it for 30 mins. No seepage spotted. The heads discharge seacock pipe removed and the off position still allows some water back in. Plan to remove and repack but having checked the pipe it is sealed in any case so unlikely to be the culprit.
Stern gland and engine compartment checked for leaks no dripping noticed anywhere.
Port aft engine seacocks checked. Completely dry.
Fresh water tank has been disconnected and the hose raised to eliminate this.

Unless there is a hull crack somewhere I am lot for ideas. What would be really helpful if something exists is a map of the bilge layout beneath the cabin decking to show where the compartments go. I was going to lift the cabin wooden decking to fault find but understand this is bonded to the hull.

Heeeeeelp please !

L

Gary-Cottam

Re: Centaur bilge plan

Post by Gary-Cottam » Tue May 29, 2018 10:04 am

Hi,

In my Centaur the bilge compartments are all interconnected and any leak will start to fill them all, which isn't helpful sometimes when trying to find a leak.

I have a PSS Seal, which has a vent pipe, initially I fitted the vent too low, which can then allow sea water to syphon in.

You didn't mention the sink seacock, my original one broke away in my hand, requiring a temp fix and a haul out next day.

Also, is there a paddle wheel or any other type of transducer fitted that could leak?

Mine has an access hatch in the cabin sole, that allows you to inspect, sponge out this area, I take it yours does to?
Westerly Centaur 1421 - Gemini
Haven Marina, Ipswich

BOUKADOURA 2
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Post by BOUKADOURA 2 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:32 pm

My Centaur bilge compartments all seem to be interconnected as well but I have installed an extra auto electric bilge pump as there was a leak in the companion way that filled the boat up several years ago (after being laid up by a previous owner) and rotted the old engine sump. The leak has been repaired but lesson learned --- to have 2 bilge pumps (one under cabin floor and the other under engine) switched on auto, with solar power charging batteries. Also a wind gen is going on to a transom frame/aerial arch (when I get it made and fitted).

I am sorry this is not much help for you but I would like to hear when you find the problem. Good luck

Albert.
Albert. Retired with a little dog (Natasha) Yacht BOUKADOURA 2. Coquet Yacht Club member (Amble)
Quote - Don't give up until you stop breathing. :D

TyroSailor
Anti Spam measure: No

Post by TyroSailor » Wed May 30, 2018 12:03 pm

IMO, the bilge compartments should be interconnected, so that the main bilge pump under the engine (which is the deepest part) can drain the whole of the bilges. I drilled a limber hole between here and the central bilge area as there wasn't one there, and therefore no means of draining it.

The lack of access to the main bilge is a serious problem if you ask me: what would happen if the bottom were holed and you needed to get at it in a hurry? I've cut a small access hatch under the companionway step but am wary of doing more in case it weakens the cabin sole.
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton

Indian summer

Post by Indian summer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:08 pm

Success !!!!!!!!

After many many many hours of searching I have finally found the source of the leak. It turned out to be a combination of a failed sea cock on the engine water intake which was partially open when closed and an oversized water pipe which was incorrectly fitted when I had the engine replaced. The hose was leaking at the gearbox elbow but this was not visible as the water was running under the sump and dripping down. I had convinced myself that the leak was in the compartment under the fridge (B layout Port Side aft of the Heads). This was where the water accumulated first after a large leak (3 wks the water was flooding the entire cabin area. It turns out there is a void where the water collected under the heads and after thinking I had emptied the bilge completely then a small amount of movement released water from the void into this area. Anyway the good news is that I now know way more about the boat and every tiny compartment / bilge area and now understand how siphoning works !!!! Soooooooooooooo happy