Merlin / R290 mainsheet traveller conversion

1340fxd
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Merlin / R290 mainsheet traveller conversion

Post by 1340fxd » Mon May 28, 2018 10:47 pm

I am struggling to live with the standard mainsheet traveller arrangement on my Regatta 290 especially when racing. A logical (to me at least) conversion would be to fit a full width traveller across the cockpit seats at the front of the cockpit.

Has anyone done this please?

Shamal
AntiSpam Text: westerly

Re: Merlin / R290 mainsheet traveller conversion

Post by Shamal » Thu May 31, 2018 8:44 pm

Hi I`ve always wondered if we could get better performance from our merlin by having the mainsheet track moved as you say.
Merlins are fast given there waterline length in my opinion.
I would be interested in finding out how you get on.

Jolly Roger
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Re: Merlin / R290 mainsheet traveller conversion

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu May 31, 2018 10:24 pm

There should be no reason why you cannot do this. The deck would be strong enough, but you would need to check whether the core is balsa or plywood. On my Fulmar the track is at the aft end of the cockpit. In the past it had been moved to the center of the cockpit, but made the cockpit difficult to move around, so was removed. On other Fulmars I have seen then at the forward end of the cockpit.

If the deck core is plywood, then you will have no problem with just drilling straight through.

If there is a balsa core, this will involve slightly more work. For each hole you will need to remove a ring of the core and replace with an epoxy reinforcement to stop compression of the deck. The easiest way to do this is to drill through only the top layer of GRP and then spin drill with an alum key in the hole to remove a ring of balsa core. Once filled, you can then drill the correct hole.

In both cases you will need a penny washer to spread the loading of each bolt.

The only downside of moving the track is you will find it uncomfortable to sit with your back against the end of the coachroof. So while fitting the track, make something to cover the track whilst in harbor in cruising mode.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/