GK24 Engine Bay

GrahamBolton
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

GK24 Engine Bay

Post by GrahamBolton » Wed May 16, 2018 11:22 am

I have taken the original Vire 7 out, and replacing it with a re-conditioned Vire. Whilst the engine is out I would like to paint the engine bay. Any thoughts; tips: hints: advice; gratefully received

Jolly Roger

Re: GK24 Engine Bay

Post by Jolly Roger » Wed May 16, 2018 11:56 am

Degrease the area and then paint with Danbolin bilge paint.

You may decide to fit some sound proofing at the same time. If so, ASAP Supplies will help you. https://www.asap-supplies.com/soundproofing
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

GrahamBolton

Post by GrahamBolton » Sun May 20, 2018 11:38 am

Jolly Roger,
Thank you for the tips and the links. Will do. Just one thought - do you (or anyone) know, the internal dimensions for the engine bay of the GK24. It's just that I'm currently away from where the boat is moored.
Thanks again.

TyroSailor

Post by TyroSailor » Tue May 22, 2018 1:13 pm

Hear, hear for Danboline.

When the old MD2b was removed from my Centaur the bottom of the engine bay was thick with forty years' worth of congealed oil, sludge and general nastiness. After scraping it out, cleaning and degreasing (I used Gunk for this followed by brake-cleaning fluid which seemed to be a volatile organic solvent - strict fire precautions and ventilation needed). Once it was spotless and sanded down I laid on three coats of white Danboline which is proving hard-wearing and resistant to anything thrown at it so far. Since it's white I can immediately spot any spilt oil etc, and it makes the engine bay lighter and so easier to work in. Highly recommended.

Before and after:
Engine bay filthy 1_opt.jpg
Engine bay filthy 1_opt.jpg (96.67 KiB) Viewed 395 times
Engine bay painted_opt.jpg
Engine bay painted_opt.jpg (76.93 KiB) Viewed 395 times
Now I need to do all the lockers too. So much to do, so little time....
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton