Centaur Keel Bolt Leak

Indian summer
Anti Spam measure: Yes
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Centaur Keel Bolt Leak

Post by Indian summer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:54 am

Good Morning All

I have been reading through the forums and have been looking for any hints and tips regarding the process of removing keels on a Centaur and resealing them. There is a lot of information about strengthening and caulking but not thing that I could find which details the process. I am an engineer so the process doesn’t phase me, what I want to try and do is achieve this process over a weekend and to do that I need to be very efficient ... or crazy ?

I only have the crane for the lift out on Friday 27th Apr in Torquay Harbour so I am planning block her up with the keels about 12in above the ground and use a jack under each keel to/ assist with lowering and raising.

I am a little worried about how to handle the potential for bolts to sieze and potentially shear studs which could be somewhat time consuming to sort. Equally how to remove a stud should this happen?

I plan to drop each keel but putting a large socket on each nut, slackening then slightly to ensure that they all move then release the bolts. Then use a wooden hardwood wedge to split the keel from the boat (After clearing as much sealant away as possible). Lower away on the jack, clean the area, reapply sikaflex and jack up the keel to reseat.

Any tips really gratefully appreciated.

Lenny

Indian summer
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Re: Centaur Keel Bolt Leak

Post by Indian summer » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:03 am

I have taken some advice and have decided to delay the removal of the keel until I have a layup over the winter in a yard. There is only one seeping and so I am going to attempt to apply the Westerly official fix for a weeping bolt. This however requires a sealant which I cannot find via a simple google, any advice here ?

The fix involves cotton caulking and according to the manual a 'Thiosulphide Sealant' such as Keelbond which I cannot find online. Before I go chatting to chandlers for advice does anyone have a name of a modern sealant which did the trick ?

TyroSailor
Anti Spam measure: No

Re: Centaur Keel Bolt Leak

Post by TyroSailor » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:25 pm

I'm sure Sikaflex can supply the right sealant for the job - at a price. I talked to their rep at the Beaulieu Boat Jumble last year and it seems they have a bewildering array!
Experience: That which would have been most useful five minutes before you acquired it.

Steve
Tyro (Centaur 1361)
at Southampton