davits on Merlin28

17aw54
Anti Spam measure:Yes
AntiSpam Text:Westerly
davits on Merlin28

Post by 17aw54 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:57 pm

Antifoul sorted! Thank you for your comments and advice. Now we're looking at installing davits to carry our WakkerBay 275 (8) on our Merlin 28. Has anyone any experience of hanging a dinghy from davits on a Merlin 28?

UserError
Anti Spam measure:Yes

Re: davits on Merlin28

Post by UserError » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:56 am

Not directly and not sure what your concerns are, but in case it helps, our Centaur came with davits, the value of which I was a bit sceptical for various reasons. Performance hit mainly and out of proportion.

However on our delivery trip I wanted the Avon inflated (Redcrest - same length but not as heavy as yours) so my son lashed up a cradle. This worked enough to convince me that there will be times when they're useful and worth investing in davits patches for the dinghy.

And it didn't look too bad- I was worried about the scale. Your boat is bigger so if you're minded to fit them, from this perspective I don't see a problem.

Performance hit is a personal choice and as ever is a compromise. Got to be better than towing?

I would add that ours are basic manual pushpit height ones and have standard horned cleats, which make the davits awkward to use as you have to raise each end in turn, several times and you have to repeatedly tie & untie: I will be swapping these for, or adding Clamcleats.
Centaur Polly B
Littlehampton

Jolly Roger
Anti Spam measure:No

Re: davits on Merlin28

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:47 am

17aw54 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:57 pm
Antifoul sorted! Thank you for your comments and advice. Now we're looking at installing davits to carry our WakkerBay 275 (8) on our Merlin 28. Has anyone any experience of hanging a dinghy from davits on a Merlin 28?
Why do you need davits? They are ugly, changes the center of effort higher and further aft (more so the smaller the boat), the number of times a dinghy is used is far rarer than expected, increases the overall length which raises berthing charges, makes close quarter handling more difficult, they cost a lot, they do not add any value to a secondhand value, and finally the deck was not made for the extra local loading of davits. You may now understand I am against davits.

Unfortunately you have chosen the wrong dinghy for a 28ft boat. You need an inflatable dinghy and a high speed inflater. Your only alternative is to tow the Walker Bay 275 and loose boat speed.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/