Griffon Mk1 - Deck Refurb

Glynn76
Anti Spam measure: No
AntiSpam Text: Westerly

Griffon Mk1 - Deck Refurb

Post by Glynn76 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:13 pm

Hi Guys,

Carrgaheen is a Mk1 Griffon and I purchased her last year and the deck paint is well overdue for a makeover, I have attached some images and need some guidance:

1. What would be best process to prepare the deck ready for a re-paint?

2. Any suggestions on the type/make of paint to use?

3. Previous owner would have varnished some of the woodwork and aside from the wood the varnish is all over the GRP, any ideas of what solution to use to remove it?

4. To replace deck fittings will I need access behind cabin headlining?

5. last question!) I was going to tidy up the gunwales whilst i am at it, and someone last year told me not to re-varnish them it is better to leave the teak unvarnished, what is other people's thoughts.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

Fair winds, Glynn :)
Attachments
IMG-1668.JPG
IMG-1668.JPG (1.61 MiB) Viewed 969 times
IMG-1667.JPG
IMG-1667.JPG (1.63 MiB) Viewed 969 times
IMG-1666.JPG
IMG-1666.JPG (2.11 MiB) Viewed 969 times
IMG-1665.JPG
IMG-1665.JPG (1.69 MiB) Viewed 969 times
IMG-1664.JPG
IMG-1664.JPG (1.86 MiB) Viewed 969 times
IMG-1663.JPG
IMG-1663.JPG (1.44 MiB) Viewed 969 times

dj7613
Anti Spam measure: Yes

Re: Griffon Mk1 - Deck Refurb

Post by dj7613 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:45 pm

Clean them up thoroughly and then use International Woodskin. Easy to apply and long lasting...looks better thsn old grey weathered teak.

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:29 pm

Glynn

Having removed all the deck paint on my Fulmar, I should be able to help.

It looks as if your deck has been painted multiple times and is flaking in areas of either flexing or poor original bonding. I would not recommend using the method I used of chipping the paint off with a chisel - it took 10 days! Whichever method you use will be brutal. You could use a tungsten scrapper on all the areas of damaged paint. Equally you could use a disc sander, not an orbital. You need to get those areas back to clean gel coat. Whether you remove all the paint should be your decision, but if it seems well bonded I would leave it. Then fill the areas of removed paint with a waterproof filler like International Watertite, and fill level to the remaining paint. Sand all of the deck paint to clean the surface. My choice of deck paint is International Interdeck. Before applying deck paint, mask using 3M blue masking tape all the edges and to protect any fittings.

The best way to remove excess varnish from gel coat is easy. Sharpen a chisel (http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Trade_Sec ... azors.html) and then use it as a scrapper by holding it at right angle to the gel coat surface, then gently remove the varnish. If you mark the gel coat, this can be compounded out to a high shine.

To access the back of deck fittings, you will have to pull the head lining back. All deck fittings with have a layer of fiberglass over every nut as this was Westerly's method of stopping deck leaks. You will need to cut this fiberglass away using a Dremel, but be aware if the new fitting does not exactly fit the holes, then you will also need to remove the penny washer which is also glassed in.

My teak toe rails and rubbing strake had been varnished, but the varnish had broken down and water had penetrated and discoloured the wood. All the varnish was removed and the wood was sanded and left to weather to a grey finish. The hand rails and tiller were tackled later, but I decided to revarnish them using a traditional oil based varnish. Modern varnished has a very hard surface, but poor adhesion makes it easy for water penetration. With oil based varnish, the initial coats will soak into the wood and seal it against moisture and is easier to treat minor knocks. I used Le Tonkinois (https://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/varmain.html) and am very pleased with its performance after a year. However I am now planning to sand the weathered toe rails and rubbing strake so they can be varnished.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38
Photos at http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Conce ... 2/library/

Glynn76

Post by Glynn76 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:46 pm

Hi,

I really appreciate all of your help and expertise, I think your right focusing on those areas that have not bonded is better!

I like the idea of natural varnishing over the teak, there is one damaged/rotted piece (attached) I thought intitially clear the crack out with what looks like is poor filler (very soft), and refill, any ideas. The GRP does not look damaged as I had to replace stantion base last autumn.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Glynn _/)
Attachments
001(b).jpg
001(b).jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 938 times

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:20 pm

Glynn

The damaged rubbing strake will not be difficult to fix once the timber has dried out. I would use epoxy to bond the wood back together, so use some cramps. Protect the hull to stop any drips or runs on to the topsides by using heavy duty polythene fixed with electrical tape. Once hard, grind out the top of the crack and make a thickened epoxy mix coloured with dust from sanding the wood. Then varnish as normal using the 3M blue masking tape. It will still be slightly visible, but a lot better than it is now and resistant to further knocks.

If money is not a problem, then you could fit a stainless steel band along the rubbing strake. I did this on my Fulmar with a section from Wilks. https://www.wilks.co.uk/marine/boat-fen ... steel.html This shows the first section being fitted and the difference in how it looks.

Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38

Glynn76

Post by Glynn76 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the tips, the stainless steel looks great! Sanding dust is a great idea.....ill be busy this weekend _/)

Fair winds Glynn

BrightStar

Post by BrightStar » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:45 am

I am sanding mine at the moment and using a Bosch detail sander - makes easy work of it, I had to stop because the pack of sanding pads was left home :oops:
Brightstar
Griffon
On the Orwell

Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:55 am

In my photo above, my teak rubbing strake and toe rails had just been rubbed down and looked like new. After a few months the teak had turned grey and after a couple of years had some green growth. So that is why the teak will be sanded and varnished with Le Tonkinois.
Roger
Concerto Fulmar FR38